Air conditioner antics

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Air conditioner antics

Post by Keystone »

I rarely use the B190’s air conditioner, but I thought we might need it this week, so before leaving home I ran it to see if it worked, and it did. Fast forward to mid-morning a couple of days later, and I turned it on to “low air conditioning” and left for about 5 hours. When we returned in the heat of the day, it was barely running, the fan seemed to be laboring, and cool air could only be felt out the rear of the unit. Tried every setting of fan and air conditioning and nothing helped. I think my husband said, “shut it off, it might blow up!”, but I left it on because I didn’t think things could get worse. Started surfing the web for “replacement Penguin RV Air conditioners”, when suddenly there was a loud cracking sound, and then it was raining ice chips on my head! So, it did blow up! I laughed so hard I fell on the floor, though I did finally shut it off. Left it alone for a while, but later I switched it back on and.....voila, it worked fine. My favorite kind of repair—self healing.

Has this freezing thing happened to anyone else?

Stay cool, everyone!
Keystone
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Air conditioner antics

Post by skater »

I haven't had it happen, but it can if its low on freon. (These aren't really serviceable units for that problem, so your instinct to look for a new one was right on target.) But if that were the case, I wouldn't expect it to work fine later - it'd probably do the same thing again. Odd.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Air conditioner antics

Post by Keystone »

Thanks for weighing in on this, Skater. Like so many components in our vans, it appear this A/C unit is living on borrowed time. I’ll add it to the list... :)