Refrigerator swap 12v

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
3Patels
Seasoned Traveler

Refrigerator swap 12v

Post by 3Patels »

Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Refrigerator swap 12v

Post by Millennial Falcon »

Hey Patrick,

I copied your detailed instructions today and put a NovaKool R4500 in! Thank you for your video!! I've been considering this for quite some time, even collecting various amp-ratings and footprints of units over at this thread.

Seeing your video and how easily the NovaKool's fit into the stock cabinetry was exactly what I needed to eliminate any worries and install order the unit!!

One quick question: when on 12 volt, is your fridge running even with the ignition off? My fridge is not running on 12-volt only right now... and I am sure I wired it correctly. Seeing this post over at B190exp.com, he mentions:
[From the factory] the B190 is wired such that you can only run the frig on DC when the engine is running. Otherwise it would drain the house batteries in short order.
and that in order to make his fridge run at all times off of DC:
the DC positive wire from the refrigerator went to a relay behind the fuse/breaker panel under the sofa. That relay is energized when the engine is running. I took it out so the DC at the frig was hot all the time.
Patrick, Did you do any of this, or is yours running on DC from just the 12-volt leads that went to the stock fridge?

I found this relay behind the electric panel under my couch: Image.

I also found this thread from several years ago that seems to indicate the yellow wire is the signal from the ignition that it is engaged... and I'm presuming the green & white wires that enter a wiring harness are the same wires that come out behind the fridge as the positive and negative wires... So, that leaves the black wire as a positive, I presume?

Has anyone else removed this relay from their camper? If so, did you do anything special or just... connect the black wire directly to the green wire?
Misplaced Vermonter
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Refrigerator swap 12v

Post by Misplaced Vermonter »

Following this thread... needing to do same thing asap