Furnace clicks on and off

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
Shadan
New User
B190 Year: 1994

Furnace clicks on and off

Post by Shadan »

Hi, All. My furnace doesn't seem to be working very well. The fan seems to work just fine but it sounds like the propane burner keeps clicking on and off so it blows cold air most of the time. I have tried it with the thermostat turned all the way up. Thoughts? Sail switch? Burner? Do you know of anywhere with instructions on how to replace those? Cheers!
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Furnace clicks on and off

Post by Keystone »

When the thermostat calls for heat, the fan comes on and the clicking is the pilot igniter. Then the controls look for three conditions to be satisfied: 12V, propane, and air flow. If the conditions are met, the burner will light. If they are not met, it tries a total of 3 times and then the fan blows cold.

Do you have a good battery with 12V? Does propane flow to your cooktop or other gas appliance? Is there a blockage in the air intake or combustion gas outlet annulus? Even a small air blockage will cause combustion to be cancelled. Does the furnace work sometimes, and stop in the middle of the night? This could indicate that the battery voltage has dropped too low.

Let us know what you uncover. Also, I have had luck diagnosing my furnace issues on the phone with the Hydroflame people in Utah. They are helpful.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Keystone
B190 4x4
Shadan
New User

Post by Shadan »

Thanks for the response. I had checked propane via the stove and oven before and they seemed to be working just fine. Upon your suggestion, however, I figured I would try again and - what do you know? - it seems like they aren't getting consistent propane. I just got it and haven't run anything for very long. So, I guess I have a propane problem? Is it possible the propane isn't even on if they start working some? Maybe I'm out but it should be full (and is according to the monitor).
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

A couple of things on the propane: yes, there might have been some left in the lines that allowed the stove burners to light briefly, but I doubt that would have been enough to also light the oven.

I would suggest that you close the propane tank valve and then reopen it slowly and completely. Sometimes that helps. Also, try lighting the stove on a warm day, say over 45F. If the cooktop still doesn’t stay on, it might be that there is water or other contamination in the propane, or that the tank is overfilled, or that the regulator is bad, or that the monitor isn’t working properly.

In your shoes, I would make a visit to the local propane vendor (like Amerigas) and see if the tech there can help track down the issue.

So, maybe your furnace is working ok?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Keystone
B190 4x4