Anyone converted the stock AirCon to a thermostat control?

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Anyone converted the stock AirCon to a thermostat control?

Post by Millennial Falcon »

Has anyone converted the stock AC unit to a thermostat control? Is there a Dometic faceplate that will plug-in and bolt up there to the ceiling mount that anyone has found?

Control of the unit on the wall-mounted thermostat would be nice, but even if I could set temperature on the ceiling faceplate I'd be happy. The "high/medium/low" settings just... keeps cranking away. If the system could automatically keep a temperature it would be so much more enjoyable, especially since the controls are soooo faaaaar from me when I'm sleeping in the bunk.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Anyone converted the stock AirCon to a thermostat control?

Post by skater »

Yours doesn't have a thermostat? It's not marked with temperatures, but mine has a cool - warm knob. I don't think I've ever seen one without a thermostat.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Millennial Falcon »

I have the "cool/warm" knob... but I'm looking at more of an easy to set temperature control... even the old dial thermometers in a house (or tied to the heater in the B190) have a temperature range. I'd like to be able to set something more precise, like 72°F. Possibly even something that will turn the fan off when the AirCon isn't needed... since the warm/cool knob only disengages the compressor but doesn't disengage the fan.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Millennial Falcon wrote:I have the "cool/warm" knob... but I'm looking at more of an easy to set temperature control... even the old dial thermometers in a house (or tied to the heater in the B190) have a temperature range. I'd like to be able to set something more precise, like 72°F. Possibly even something that will turn the fan off when the AirCon isn't needed... since the warm/cool knob only disengages the compressor but doesn't disengage the fan.
You can figure out what temperature you like and it’ll hold it (or, it should). You could draw a line on the gauge so you know where it is.

The AC in our trailer can be set to run the fan constantly or cycle it on and off with the compressor (or heat strip). I find there are times I want it to run constantly, and there are times I don’t. I think most ACs do one or the other though.

For a remote thermostat you need an AC that supports it, then run the control wires. I wonder if any do it wirelessly...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit