Fixing stiff knobs on the stove

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Fixing stiff knobs on the stove

Post by skater »

When we got our B190 back, the knobs on the stove were very stiff, and two didn't want to turn at all. Today I pulled it apart to figure out how to fix that issue...it turns out to be extremely easy, unfortunately, I learned that after breaking one already. And I haven't yet found a replacement for the one I broke. :evil: Ah well...the new stoves only have three burners, too, right?

You don't need to turn off the gas, but it's never a bad idea.

1. Pull off the plastic knobs. They just pull straight out.

2. Look at the front of the stove behind the knob. You'll see two small screws with a star bit (I didn't note the size, but it was one that came with my screwdriver, so it's a common size). In my case, the lower one was obscured by the control panel as in the picture.

3. This is easier to solve than it at first seems. If you pull off the top and look down behind the control panel, you'll see two screws that hold the control panel in place (visible along the edges of this picture). Just remove them, then the control panel has enough give to let you get to the screws.

(Sharp-eyed viewers will note I removed a trim piece along the top that was unnecessary. Don't bother removing it. It doesn't get you anywhere.)

4. Remove the control. Don't lose the spring behind it!

5. Here's where it gets hard, because you want to be careful not to break them. Basically you have to separate the two pieces, clean them up, then lubricate them (I used silicone). The better your knobs are working, the easier this will be to do, so if your knobs are stiff but still working now, I highly recommend doing it before they get worse. Here's a picture of two of them separated, front and back.

There's a little catch on the back of the flatter piece that is the "off" position, then when you push the plastic knob, the shaft pushes back toward the stove and you can rotate it. The previously mentioned spring pushes the knob back toward you when you shut the burner off.

6. Get them cleaned up and lubricated, then reinstall them. The "U" shape on the end of the shaft should be upright, like a U. Make sure the spring is in the right spot. You'll also notice it's easy to accidentally rotate the knob to the wrong spot. If the knob isn't right - either upside down, or just generally askew, something is wrong. Upside down probably requires removing the piece and trying again. Tighten the two screws on each control.

7. Replace the two screws for the control panel mentioned in step 3, replace the knobs, and replace the top. Have fun!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Fixing stiff knobs on the stove

Post by Keystone »

Thanks, Skater. I’ve needed this fix for one of my burners since I bought my van 10 years ago. What a helpful write up! Looking forward to completing this repair during my “spring van project season”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keystone
B190 4x4
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Fixing stiff knobs on the stove

Post by skater »

Keystone wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:02 pm
Thanks, Skater. I’ve needed this fix for one of my burners since I bought my van 10 years ago. What a helpful write up! Looking forward to completing this repair during my “spring van project season”.
Go for it. The writeup probably makes it look like it'll take longer than it actually does. Hardest part for me was breaking the ones that were completely stuck loose; the ones that were working but stiff were much easier.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit