Fridge amperage (AC)

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Fridge amperage (AC)

Post by ChasingRain »

I'm wondering if anyone knows how much current the fridge draws when running on AC? The reason I ask is I just wired an inverter into my outlets (or the other way around) and since the fridge is on that circuit, I'm wondering if I can run it off the inverter? I figure it might be a good way to run the fridge while driving to save some propane- as opposed to the anemic DC operation. It's a small inverter (300w), but I haven't noticed the fridge tripping it, but I'm not sure if that's because the fridge is cycling and I'm just not noticing it.
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Post by reday »

Why don't you search this web site and forum then post your question on the forum if you can't find an answer. TJ is very helpful.

http://www.rvmobile.com/
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I totally missed this question until now.

The fridge draws 3 amps max in 110 volt mode, I believe. 3 amps times 110 volts = 330 watts. In reality the fridge probably usually uses less than that most of the time.

The one thing that would worry me about this method is that it could run your deep cycle battery down pretty quickly (330 watts/12 volts = 27.5 amps) if you shut off the engine and leave the fridge run.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit