Furnace Motor - how to get at it?

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
OnTheRoad
Weekend Camper

Furnace Motor - how to get at it?

Post by OnTheRoad »

My furnace works, but has a bit of a screeching noise to it. Looking online, people suggest either replacing or trying to lubricate the furnace's fan motor.

I was wondering if anyone on the forum had opened up the furnace to get at the motor. I couldn't find any instructions online about how to do this with the older (79/80) Hydro Flame furnaces.

Thanks for any help!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

For mine, I had to disconnect the gas line (make sure the gas if off, obviously, then light the stove to let it burn off what's still in the line...even then you'll probably still get some gas out, so be careful). Remove the two screws holding the furnace in place.

From there, the whole unit just slides right out. The wires are even long enough to let you work on it without disconnecting them (dangerous, of course - pull the fuse). The motor is near the back, accessible by removing several screws.

The fan blades are held on by set screws - I needed a GOOD set of hex wrenches to break mine loose.

In my case, replacing the motor AND both sets of blades finally did the trick for the noise. The one new blade (the thinner one) was plastic instead of metal.

When you are replacing the furnace, make sure the exhaust pipe goes into the back of the furnace housing correctly. It sometimes took a little jiggling around to get it. I never had a problem "missing" the pipe or anything though, but be sure the furnace exhaust is in fact coming out the side of the camper and not under the couch...that's bad.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
OnTheRoad
Weekend Camper

Post by OnTheRoad »

Thanks!
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Re: Furnace Motor - how to get at it?

Post by Kentuckian »

Thanks for your great description on how to remove the furnace. The furnace in the B190 that I just bought hasn’t been operated for several years. When I fired up the furnace it worked fine but after a short period of time the fan began making a screeching noise. I pulled the furnace out of the RV and removed the fan assembly to inspect it. I cleaned it thoroughly and then added a drop of oil onto the motor shaft next to the bearing housing. I rotated the fan by hand to work the oil into the bearing area until the screeching ceased. I reassembled the furnace, installed it in the 190 and it works fine now with no screeching noise.
1993 Airstream B190