Steering Wheel, Drivers Seat Alingment +1-2" Off Center

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
Jay
New User
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Steering Wheel, Drivers Seat Alingment +1-2" Off Center

Post by Jay »

I'm back I have not been on the B190 site since it changed from a Yahoo Site (I think its been some time). I still have the old 1989 B190 and have worked on all of the mechanical stuff and we are getting ready to put cash towards a new paint job. We are also looking at buying a new Airstream 16' Sport to tow behind it. We have towed a Jeep 5k pounds, a Ural Side car on a trailer 1,1K pounds and an off road trailer 700 pounds, the Jeep was really painful to tow and I would never do that again. I plan on using a weight distribution hitch to make things a lot smoother on the road.

The problem that we have with the coach is that the steering wheel (it is a tilt adjustable column) and the drivers seat are not centered to each other. One or the other is off +- 1 to 2". That makes it kind of tiring to drive, does anyone have a solution to the problem?

I have looked at the swivel pedestal and it has not been changed or moved, the seat bar that the swivel pedestal mounts to the seat has not been re-drilled / modified. I do not know if the tilt adjustable column can be adjusted right or left and asked a steering mechanic about it yesterday and he didn't think so.

Jay and Donna
If anyone can help we would sure appreciate it!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Steering Wheel, Drivers Seat Alingment +1-2" Off Center

Post by skater »

Wow, that's weird. My guess would be that's probably easier to fix the seat than it is the steering column. If nothing else, you can remove the seat and re-drill the holes in the floor for it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit