Stabilizer Bars

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

Re: Stabilizer Bars

Post by Mark »

Just now I removed my overly large and close to the differential and ground, fresh and gray water tanks. I'm figuring out where the holes go and I will order them from Plastic Mart.com soon.

Given that I now know that I will be able to fit the Hellwig stabilizer bar without hitting the fresh water tank, I just ordered that also!

I'm deep into working on a solar system that I can afford also.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by jb1rd73 »

I'm deep into working on a solar system that I can afford also.[/quote]
Def want to hear more about this as it will be on the Fall project list. My whole 12v system is a mystery so would like to start fresh and add a solar array 8O
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

IMHO I have modest needs, a few "always on" USB plugs, I want to be able to charge my computer, I want the stereo to be "always on" and I might want to use my blender for a few minutes every day.
So far the bid for two panels, new batteries and all the wiring, labor and such, is $5600. It'll be a buffed out system but dang!
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

Installed mine last night!

It was pretty much easy peasy. I had to buy a 1/2" bit that fit into my 3/8" drill but that was money well spent.

I've put off the solar for next year, btw.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

Just picked up my 93 from my local mechanic who installed my rear sway bar-- $134 install and replace power steering belt.-- marked difference. I put in all new bilstein shocks last year-- which also make a big improvement. Can finally say I can live with it now, might still look into a bit more front end looseness than I would like, but the bilstein shocks and the rear sway bar have made a world of difference.
jbcason
Weekend Camper

Post by jbcason »

lido14co wrote:Great post. Do you think it's worth $200 for the better ride? I put Bilstein shocks on last year and they made a huge difference. Thanks.
Which Bilstein shocks did you put on? I want to put them on mine but can't decide which ones. Thanks, JB
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Model numbers for the Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks are 33-176857 for the rear and 33-187570 for the fronts. That' sweat I put on mine and they're still performing well along with the sway bar. Thinking of upgrading the front sway bar down the line to help with drift.

Cliff
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

Guess I should review my posts and edit!

Cliff
Saprophyte
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by Saprophyte »

I just finished putting the rear stabilizer bars on my 1996 b190. Be very careful when enlarging the holes to attach the rear bar. One of the holes points towards the fuel tank. If your drill bit plunges too far through that hole, you could hit the tank!

My installation was way harder than it should have been because we broke a rusty hydraulic brake line while trying to install the U-bolts. The original brake line didn't allow room for the U-bolts. The line was very rusted at the clip that holds it on top of the differential, and that's where it broke. The rear wheels have the brake line ports and the bleed valves in the most inconvenient possible positions, and they were fused with rust; very difficult to turn. I had to destroy one bleed valve and replace it to get the brakes working again.

The ride is definitely improved. Bare in mind that the B190 will always be like a full size van with a fiberglass boat glued to its roof. It's still a very top-heavy vehicle and its difficult (or impossible) to make it handle like a lighter vehicle. That being said, I can now drive over bumps and curb cuts at an angle without fearing I'll roll the van on it's side! So far I've done the rear bar and the front shocks only; next comes the front bar.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

Congrats. Haven't updated the front bar yet. Let us know if you get any improvement.

Cliff
porkchop
B190 Year: 94

Post by porkchop »

Will we have to remove the real wheels to install the rear stablizer ? Thanks
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

No, not at all.
Newkirk407
New User

Post by Newkirk407 »

Thanks for the post! I'm new to the site and this is exactly why I wanted to join. Our B is exactly what we were looking for minus the feeling of death once we hit 55. If a Semi passes us, it's like being on a small boat on the ocean. The PO told us he had new bushings and sway bar put on, but I'm yet to see a rear sway on it. We use our B to pull our small(8x5) enclosed motocross trailer to and from races as well as camp whenever we can. New tires, a very close look at the suspension and a rear anti-sway bar are in the near future.
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Newkirk407 wrote:Thanks for the post! I'm new to the site and this is exactly why I wanted to join. Our B is exactly what we were looking for minus the feeling of death once we hit 55. If a Semi passes us, it's like being on a small boat on the ocean. The PO told us he had new bushings and sway bar put on, but I'm yet to see a rear sway on it. We use our B to pull our small(8x5) enclosed motocross trailer to and from races as well as camp whenever we can. New tires, a very close look at the suspension and a rear anti-sway bar are in the near future.

Rear stabilizer bar, new heavy duty shocks and exact tire pressure front and rear will keep you steady!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Newkirk407 wrote:Thanks for the post! I'm new to the site and this is exactly why I wanted to join. Our B is exactly what we were looking for minus the feeling of death once we hit 55. If a Semi passes us, it's like being on a small boat on the ocean. The PO told us he had new bushings and sway bar put on, but I'm yet to see a rear sway on it. We use our B to pull our small(8x5) enclosed motocross trailer to and from races as well as camp whenever we can. New tires, a very close look at the suspension and a rear anti-sway bar are in the near future.
I'd add to what Tucsonan said - make sure the steering box is tight. Loose steering will send you all over the road! (I don't know anything about doing this - my shop adjusted it for me, and the difference was definitely noticeable.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit