Cracked OEM rim on recent trip - Anyone had one?

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Cracked OEM rim on recent trip - Anyone had one?

Post by Reddeer »

Hey there,

On a recent trip from NM to NC, I experienced a cracked rim (back wheel) and gradually lost air pressure. Luckily I check tires at every stop, so I was able to get some help from Coach Net before the sun went down. The OEM cast wheel experienced a crack inside the rim, causing air leakage. I ended up running the steel spare to NC, then buying two used rims and put them on the back before the return journey.

I have never seen a post on a cracked rim, but I do know those back rims take a real pounding over time. Has anyone experienced a failure? My rig is a 1993 with almost 90k on it (12k in the last 9 months - I guess we love our B-190!).

Thanks.
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Cracked OEM rim on recent trip - Anyone had one?

Post by Kentuckian »

Reddeer,
Sorry, I have no personal experience with this... yet. However, I have discovered that there are a number of businesses out there that can repair cracks, gouges, and curb rash on alloy wheels. If you strike out finding a replacement you might go online and search for a repair shop near you. I will likely try having an alloy rim repaired on my tow car in a month or two. No time to deal with it right now.
Good luck!
1993 Airstream B190
URStruly
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by URStruly »

Beware of repaired rims. I had bad experience with repaired rims. They don't always hold up. I spent $125 to have one repaired and had to replace it within 3 weeks.
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

URStruly,
Thanks for jumping in with the note of caution. Would you mind describing what the contents of your repair was and how it failed?
1993 Airstream B190
URStruly
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by URStruly »

The wheel that I dented was on my E320 Mercedes. I hit a deep pot hole and it dented the rim badly. The rim was alloy rim. New ones cost about $400. There is a repair guy that regularly calls on tire stores and dealers in the area. I had the tire store have him repair my rim. Cost $125. After about two weeks I started loosing air from the tire. The rim had continued to crack further into the body of the rim. I had to buy a new rim for the car.
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

URStruly
Thanks for the detail. Ouch! Turned out to be an expensive pothole!

So we definately need to make sure that the repair company has a reasonable satisfaction gaurantee. In my case, I have a set of aftermarket rims that are no longer made. I'll consider your experience before I decide to repair the one rim or replace the whole set.
1993 Airstream B190
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Thanks for the responses!