Speaking of tires....

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

Speaking of tires....

Post by Mark »

Did you know that OLD tires are BAD tires?

I found that out on the maiden trip to Yosemite and back (1600 miles) recently.

Just outside of Reno, I started feeling a bump, bump, bump. I got out and looked but didn't find anything. The next day it got way worse and actually shook the generator exhaust off. My buddy Max and I got out, looked around and again found nothing.

A week or so later we were sitting in a Yosemite campground, looking at photos when Max looked over to the rig and asked "What is that on the inside of your back tire"?
We discovered this blister! We changed the tire but the rig was still riding a little bit rough. On the way home I stopped at a tire store, Les Schwab, to buy a spare. I described the bumpy ride and the guy said, "Well, let's go look at your tires". He looked at them and right away said "oh, these tires are 11 years old (!), look this one is delaminating"!

Dang!

I bought five new tires, the ride smoothed right out and now I am a happy (and safe) guy!
Attachments
Tire-blister.jpg
Tire-blister.jpg (137.03 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Speaking of tires....

Post by Keystone »

That's a nasty bulge! Luckily, you replaced those bad tires before disaster struck.
Keystone
B190 4x4
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

Post by Mark »

I stopped at a Les Schwab in Gardnerville, but they didn't have all five tires. The Carson City store did but it was 14 miles away. As I was leaving the guy says to me "drive careful on those tires".

I drove like I was on eggshells!
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

Wow! That's quite a bulge. I've never seen anything like that.

I know this thread is several months old but thought I'd add my recent experiences. I typically buy Michelin tires for my vehicles. The Michelin tread seems to last longer than other brands and I've come to believe the quality is better on Michelins compared to others. I still believe Michelins to be a cut above many tires. However, on two different vehicles I recently experienced tread separation on Michelin tires. In both cases the tires were just over the 70,000 mile warranty period and in both cases the tires were over 5 years old. In general the tires served me well but I found it interesting that the tread was separating.

Similar to the situation described above, the problem exhibited itself as a slight rough ride but quickly (and I mean just a matter of miles) became a much rougher ride. Fortunately, I was able to pull over, identify the problem and change the tire.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate