New Wheels and Tires--a shopping opportunity

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

New Wheels and Tires--a shopping opportunity

Post by Keystone »

My van is near to the point of needing new tires. While shopping for 33x12.50 tires for my aftermarket 16.5" wheels, I discovered that tires are no longer made for this size wheel. I've called four shops and combed the internet, and those tires are not.available.anywhere. So, now I have some decisions to make, and I'm hoping someone out there will have experience and advice. I could get either 16's or 17's to replace the 16.5" wheels I now have, which I believe are aluminum. Thoughts? Tires are pricier for the bigger wheels, and of course bigger wheels are also more expensive. But maybe stronger? Also, would steel wheels be OK? Is there a good brand(s) to look for? Should I look on Craig's List for used wheels or is that iffy? And while I'm at it, what about the color? Seems that black and graphite are more popular than the aluminum/chrome look nowadays. On tires, is load range D enough? Should I go for E instead? I'd love 35" tires, but I am worried about rubbing (and $). I currently have the BFG all-terrain, and like them, but is there a better value AT tire out there?

Thanks for your thoughts.
-Keystone
4x4 B190
Keystone
B190 4x4
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

Re: New Wheels and Tires--a shopping opportunity

Post by VT964x4 »

Keystone, here is a good review of some off road tires http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-r ... -the-road/ from expedition portal with some really helpful information. I have generally understood that alum alloy wheels are lighter and make the vehicle more maneuverable while steel wheels are heavier, stronger and will make the vehicle feel more tank-like, but that in the the snow the weight can help the tires bite into the snow for better traction. I am running bfg tires 275/70r17 tires on alum rims. I guess I would call Don Hinz at Boulder off-road... :D
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Wow, thanks VT! Super helpful! And I like the look of the wheels they used on the Rubicon in the review. Wonder what they are? I guess 17's are the way to go--they look really good on your van. So, maybe the BFG's again, or maybe the Cooper Discoverys. Still contemplating the options.
Keystone
B190 4x4
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Also, at Boulder 4x4, Don was really stressing tires with strong sidewalls for our vans as when they are loaded up they are heavy heavy. Mine are also "E" rated which I think is also important. I really like how the 17's look and grip, so far so good. The bfg's are well known for strong sidewalls and durability; they were a little dissed in the expedition portal article, but, as they said, they did not include the newest ones and it was a fair comment that the bfg tread design had not changed in a long time--but they have now. [Also, part of the exp portal job is to show they are willing to challenge conventional thinking...] I have the tires rotated every summer. I do keep them at 80 psi per Don's recommendation even though I think it makes for a rougher ride. Last thought: Don mentioned that the edges of these big tires, when new, will grab grooves in the road and to be aware of that when you are driving. Out here we have a lot of 2-lane highways that get too much farm and truck traffic, makes for some "groovy" :D roads, I appreciated the warning as he was right...
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Just back from a research trip to the tire place. Thanks again for your information--helps me to know what to ask. On tires, after reading the reviews and with your advice, (and the fact that we have the KOs on an old Tacoma and drive happily in snow, mud and off-road on them ) I'm thinking bfg KO2's in 285 70R17 , Load Range E. These should be close to the existing height (32.7 instead of 33) but a little narrower (11.2 vs 12.5). Thoughts? Still shopping for 17x9" aluminum wheels with our bolt pattern (8 x 165.1). Pondering offset. Do you have any? Do I? Is there a way to measure what it is while on the vehicle? Is +15mm a good offset?

Finally, what do you think about a skull and crossbones logo on the wheel--too much? :)

Thanks again for all the help!
Keystone
B190 4x4
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Call or Email Chris at UJOINT Offroad, he is a wealth of information, or Ramsey at Agile Offroad. Can't wait to see what you choose!
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Yes, great idea, always fun to see the new projects that UJOINT creates that are posted on their website and that suspension kit from Agile is a nice set-up.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

I'd suggest one other thing...

Locate commercial scales and have your rig weighed, particularly the rear.

That information will be important in choosing a tire that will work without any difficulties

In original stock form...our rigs were at about 5600 on the rear axle...2300 per tire therefore the Load Range E

Your rig is gonna be higher due to the conversion....particularly on the front now that that original front suspension
has been replaced with a drive axle...

Our rigs were at about 3600 on the front.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Thanks, guys. Great suggestions. I will see about weighing it and send off a couple of queries to UJoint and Boulder Off-Road seeking advice. If there are more ideas, keep 'em coming. I'll be sure to post a pic when I get this sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keystone
B190 4x4
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

After way, way too much research and obsessing, I decided on 17x9 Ultra Soldier 188 wheels (rated at 3640 lb each, -12 offset and 4.5 in backspace) with BFG KO2 285 70 r17. I like the new look! Front hub caps remove with 2 Allen bolts to reveal locking hubs or can leave caps off in the winter when 4x4 travel is more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keystone
B190 4x4
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Keystone, fun look! Love those new BFG's. You must be getting some fun double takes. Congrats :D
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

That will do nicely! Great modern look for your rig!
1993 Airstream B190
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Had BFG's like that on our F-250 and liked them! They were probably overkill for what we needed - pushing a camper across the yard, and occasional snow - but they worked well.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
VT964x4
Weekend Camper

Post by VT964x4 »

Also, after several trips at 80psi, and experiencing such a rough ride, I have lowered the air pressure to 72 in the rear and 70 in the front. It really makes a difference, may go down to 65 in front. If I am really loaded up at the next trip might go up to 75 in the rear. I had kept them at 80 psi due to previous recommendation of Don at Boulder 4x4, but, man, there was no give and the ride was rough on regular roads and the occasional washboard on dirt roads was just nuts, freaked out the dogs... 8O :( Did you get any recommendations on tire pressure for your new BFG's?
twistedskipper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Post by twistedskipper »

You can find inflation/load tables for your tire load index, and then use your actual loaded front and rear axle weights to find the recommended PSI front and rear. When I did this for my 1999 B190 and my tires (LT245/75R16E load index 120) it came out to 55 front and 80 rear, which actually matched the plate on the door frame. It's nice not having to guess, and nice not driving around on 80 PSI front.
--
Tim
1999 B190