Hellwig sway bar and/or Safe-t-Plus Steering Stabilizer

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
Adkins family
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Hellwig sway bar and/or Safe-t-Plus Steering Stabilizer

Post by Adkins family »

Hi new guy here this is my first question.

back ground: New to us 1993 B190, original suspension currently on board. I have just ordered Blistein shocks and the Hellwig anti sway bars, front and rear.

New tire will follow shortly. Suggestions are appreciated. My father-in law said while following be-hide the B190 the tires look narrow.

My question is : Is there benifit to using a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilize along with the Hellwig anti sway bar or is it a one or the other option ?

Thanks
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Re: Hellwig sway bar and/or Safe-t-Plus Steering Stabilizer

Post by SeaQuinn »

Howdy. For my rig 1999. I have Firestone Destination ATs. Standard -recommended size with PSI of 55 in the front and 80 in the rear. There is much to read here on tires :-). As you read the posts you'll see that the suspension changes make incremental improvements. For my rig I have the the stock front sway bar, Hellwig for the rear ( to be installed), Roadmaster Active Suspension, Blistein shocks, and the Safe-t-Plus. I think you are on the right track. I really like the feel of the Safe-t-Plus for the wind, trucks, and aggressive offensive maneuvers :-) I consider the rig to be pretty darn stable now and adding the rear bar and upgrading the stock front bar would be just icing on the cake.
Adkins family
Weekend Camper

Post by Adkins family »

Thanks SeaQuinn,

Right now I have a bit of time to get a few bugs worked out. (even though I'm 6,000 miles away) I am on deployment in the Middle East until mid April, but after hearing Carol's feedback concerning the B190's handling on her trip back home after purchasing the vehicle , and knowing that the shocks are stock, old tires and along with reading several informative post from this site. I'll go ahead and have these items installed, (my attempt to be pro active).. Overall the van is in great shape. I think next payday I will order the Safe-T-plus and possible the tires that will leave the Roadmaster Active Suspension. Adding these sure wont hurt. We do plan on towing a Wells Cargo MPT 461 trailer used to carry our external generator, sceenroom and kayaks and other gear along with us on our extended trips. Have you had any issues with your ball joints? Our any other suspension issues for that matter? I am so glad I came across this site, I have learned so much all ready, but I have a long way to go.

I do appreciate your reply.

Best Regards,

Michael
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Welcome,

The Hellwig, new shocks and good tires (at 50psi front/ 80psi rear) are a must. I avoided an accident a month ago where I slid at an angle for 50 feet or so. I think I was going about 50mph. The skid marks are still on the road as evidence ;-)! With the Hellwig and RV shocks, the slide and sway were predictable, and I was able to recover.

There are cheaper alternatives to the Safe-T-Plus if cost is an issue (always is at my house) ...I purchased one at O'rielly or Autozone, but haven't installed it yet. I will find the info and repost.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Adkins family
Weekend Camper

Post by Adkins family »

Tucsonan,

Your few moments of extreme excitement are what we are hoping to avoid. I'm happy to hear no one was hurt or damage done to your rig. I just received word that the Blisteins are on back order, with a estimated delivery date for the 2 rear shocks 02/22/16. Do you know if there are other recommended shocks or are these worth the wait? On a positive note the Hellwig sway bars are due in about a week from today.

From what I can see in the pictures of our B , the tires are starting to crack (dry rot) around the sidewalls which is a shame because there is so much tread left. I would like to check the manufacture date on the tires but I haven't been able to talk the wife into crawling under the van yet. One of the many down sides to being 6000 miles from home is having to ask someone else to do the dirty work for you. So new tires are on the short list, due to the dry rot and possibly age.

I'm trying to track down information on over sized tires (265 75 16) and whats involved in trimming the front plastic down, but the thread I posted my question to is a couple of years old, and I'm not sure if the posters are still visiting this site... ( pictures of the trimmed out pieces would help the most )

The reality;' our B's is a 22 year old camper and we will slowly work our way into retro fitting what needs to be addressed, starting with safety/road worthy items first.

We are two happy and motivated new owners, so let the projects begin.

Thanks for the welcome and your reply.

Happy trails, cheers!
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

I purchased the alternative to the safe-t-plus, it's Monroe part SA1930 for the E350. At around $50.00, it's much more affordable. I haven't put mine on yet, ...probably next spring.

I would put new tires on ASAP. I have Firestone Destination A/T's on mine, because I drive dirt roads quite a bit here in Arizona.(another B190 owner recommended them)
I stayed with the 245/75R/16's, If you go to 265's, the fiberglass skirts should be easy to grind down, the small strip of trim can be easily pulled free starting at the front of the van, and placed back after the job is done.

I have Monroe RV shocks for an E350 van on my rig. I have been happy with them. I can look underneath for the part number if you'd like.

I learned that these 3 things are a MUST when I purchased my van,

#1 New tires, ...even if the old ones have tread. 80psi in the rear is a must! (you will be surprised how much better it handles)
#2 the hellwig rear bar (you should have a stock Ford bar already on the front).
#3 New RV shocks

Good luck!

A couple of notes, ...I would have a trusted garage quote you on the shock installation ...they can be extremely difficult to get at and remove. When they are done, ... check their work.
The Rear bar is very easily installed, but have someone assist. An extra hand to hold the bar up while you assemble the many loose washer/brackets will help you get the bar on straight in about 1/3rd of the time.

Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Please disregard my comment on the Fender skirt trimming. I thought the outer edge would need to be trimmed ...until I saw EricZ's post.

Adkins family
Weekend Camper

Post by Adkins family »

Tucsonon

I have cancelled the back ordered shocks that I had placed with EShocks. I may have found the elusive Blisteins and reordered them through Amazon. I had to order the front and rears from 2 separate places, both vendors say they are in stock but I won't know for sure until shipping confirmation is posted. In the mean time I will keep my fingers crossed. The wife is currently sourcing shops to do the installation. Her cousin owns a garage and I totally trust him but if he can't do it I will get his recommendation and go with that. Thanks for the tip on the Monroe steering stabilizer, it is much cheaper and something I will look into. We have moved new tires up to the top list in front of the steering arm. Walmart can have the tires shipped with deliver in less than a week. I'm hoping to have the tires, shocks and sway bars done at the same time.

Thanks again for your time to respond to my questions and sharing your experience and knowledge.

Cheers!
Adkins family
Weekend Camper

Post by Adkins family »

Hello,

The Hellwig front and rear sway bars have been installed, tires replaced (found out they were 13 years old) and 4 new Blistein shocks mounted. Total cost $2055.00 (parts and labor) another disadvantage to being far from home (paying labor rates). The Safe-T-Plus was delivered yesterday and will be installed soon. FYI: One problem to note is that the shocks arrived with no hardware (washers nuts) . Ordered these from Shock warehouse. The deliver was fast and they provided a tracking number but if you use these guys ask them to ensure the hardware is included with the shipment. We found out about this after while the van was in the air and the old shocks had been removed. The guys at Chadwicks Garage came through and found suitable replacements.

Reports from Carol : she can feel a difference in the way our New B rides, this was based on a short ride home from the garage, a longer test drive to come later this week, she plans on a road trip to our daughters for Thanksgiving who lives in an apartment with a strict no pet policy, Carols master plan is to drive our New B, so Sunny our Labrador can join her, dinner and then possible do the first overnight camp in our New B. Go for it baby, you can do it! Wish I could join you.

Happy Holidays, may peace be with you all !

The adventure has just begun.
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Happy travels!

lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

I had a similar problem with ordering Bilsteins from eshocks. The hardware was there but incorrect . Had to call Bilsteins directly to get the correct nuts and washers.
All the changes you've made should really help your ride. Safe travels !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk