Adding an extra spare wheel

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
EdwardM
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Adding an extra spare wheel

Post by EdwardM »

This may seem like an odd question. We need to carry an extra spare wheel (2 in total) as we're traveling to South America, and everyone recommends taking two spares.

My question is, has anyone got any ideas of where the extra could be mounted? I already have one on the back, I was thinking of putting one on the front as well, or maybe somehow modding the back to carry two? If not carrying a complete extra wheel, at least an extra tire?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Adding an extra spare wheel

Post by skater »

How strong are you? Can you lift one on top? That would be easier with an extra tire only, though...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Maybe a hitch mounted cargo carrier? I have also heard of folks adding a trailer hitch to the front of the van to mount a cargo carrier.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

How about a lug bolt extender that you could screw on to the two existing lugs on the tire mount. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DCh ... IWg&adurl=
Phoenix Replacement Wheel Simulator Stud Extenders PGDG92TSX
Phoenix USA PGDG92TSX - Phoenix Replacement Wheel Simulator Stud Extenders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Roof was a thought for me too-- yes it is heavy, but it not like you will be taking it up and down a lot. I have a front mounted hitch on my van, usually use it for a storage box (sometimes bikes), so certainly an easy option too. U-Haul had an off the shelf kit for the Ford 350. Been a few years now but I believe it was no more than $225 installed.
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Post by EdwardM »

Hi,

I thought about the roof as well, but im going to have solar panels up there, so there won't be any room. Otherwise that would have been a great place.

I also thought about a cargo hitch, as his could also add some much needed storage, however I'm too worried about people stealing things from it, as some of the places we're going through have pretty high crime rates.

I was initially thinking about a front tire hitch like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Draw-Tite-6715-F ... spare+tire

But i was worried about airflow through the radiator. We have a 1993 7.5L engine, are there any specific over heating issues with this model?

Lastly I like the idea of somehow modding the rear spare wheel mount to carry 2. I was thinking of somehow putting another above the original. I hadn't thought of adding one "out from it" like lido14co mentioned. I guess then you have to think about the load being put on hitch and the slightly increased length of the van, which would come into play when taking ferries, etc. I will definitely start looking into this option more closely.

Thanks for your ideas.

Edd.
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Hi Ed,

In the summer in Arizona my '94 7.5L can run hot. I replace the 195 degree thermostat with a 160 degree one.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"