Rear Springs

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
RandyS
New User
B190 Year: 1996

Rear Springs

Post by RandyS »

We have a 1996 and the rear leaf springs are rusty and need to be replaced. Has anyone replaced rear springs and recommend a brand and did you stay with 4 leaves or did you add any leaves? I want to tow a small boat or jet skis.

Also what about front springs? any recommendations?

thanks
lwrider20
Weekend Camper

Re: Rear Springs

Post by lwrider20 »

i replaced the rear springs on my 91. stock it had an 8 leaf pack and i upgraded to a 10 leaf pack with more weight capacity. i ordered mine from general spring and the spring part number i used was 43-623 although i imagine for the 96 it will probably be different. the weight capacity on these springs is 3500lbs each and it definitely rode better with these springs.
RandyS
New User

Post by RandyS »

Thank you. Just the answer I was lookimg for. I am going to do the same.
kstills
Seasoned Traveler

Post by kstills »

Randy, you might want to check this out:

https://activesuspension.com/

pretty cool idea, is active as opposed to passive suspension, and will increase the carrying capacity. As long as you understand that you can't actually increase that capacity legally unless you go through a DOT inspection to prove that it can actually carry more weight safely. And since you aren't modifying any of the other components on the rig, you won't pass that inspection. :wink:

Increasing rear springs by adding leafs or adding this gizmo gives you greater stability at your max weight is really all it's doing.