Rubbing tires...

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Rubbing tires...

Post by skater »

Okay, this is a weird one. As a result of the accident (more correctly, a result of me locking up the front tires trying to avoid the accident), I have two new front tires to replace the ones that were all of 3 months old (sigh).

The new tires are a different brand, but they are the same size. However, they scrape the fiberglass running board just behind the tire while turning. Very odd!

Anyone have any thoughts on this? My best guess is that the new tires are a bit larger diameter than the old ones. There's no damage in that area from the accident, and the running board still fits on the camper so it's kind of hard to understand how this could be anything but the tire.

I'm considering just swapping the front and rear tires to get around it. Anyone have a better suggestion?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

wow this is old I think? anyway my new tires rub just a tiny tiny bit same area when turning. no damage to anything will happen but you hear a little on some turns with bumps. I want to lift my front 1 inch or so. just trying to figure out the best way? what did you come with? if anything..

springs?
spring cups?
air bags?

Rear is a no brainer.

obviously an alingment is in order after a mod to the front as well. I almost hate to monkey with it since all this is perfect now. I am pretty sure that a can of worms opens when some one starts turning bolts on my front end for an aligment? Maybe- I dunno but I hate letting anyone near my rig but myself. Although alingment is just not my thing with out a alingment rack and all.

So anyone lift their van in the front?
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Are they rubbing at the rear or front of the wheel-well opening when turning...?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

In our case, we were able to localize it to "happens when I turn quickly while braking" - i.e., I'm probably driving a bit too aggressively. I've since learned to just be a little more cautious and I only rub once in a blue moon.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

Mine just lightly touch in the front fiberglass while entering or exiting a steep drivway

But I have Toyo M55's and they are a bit aggressive.. factory size tho.
funtwodrv
Weekend Camper

Post by funtwodrv »

Denco,
If this happens with the wheels slightly turned right or left, it may be a simple camber issue. I would check the alignment before considering raising the suspension since this also raises the center of gravity.
Adding as much camber as possible may pull the leading edge of the tires back just enought to clear the front fiberglass. A side benefit is a slight improvement in straight line stability.
Just a thought...

Gary
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

funtwodrv wrote:Denco,
If this happens with the wheels slightly turned right or left, it may be a simple camber issue. I would check the alignment before considering raising the suspension since this also raises the center of gravity.
Adding as much camber as possible may pull the leading edge of the tires back just enought to clear the front fiberglass. A side benefit is a slight improvement in straight line stability.
Just a thought...

Gary
Thank you Gary thats something to look at. Denco
funtwodrv
Weekend Camper

Post by funtwodrv »

Good morning Denco,
I meant to say caster and not camber!!
Gary
Denco
Weekend Camper

Post by Denco »

funtwodrv wrote:Good morning Denco,
I meant to say caster and not camber!!
Gary
That would make more sense LOL I never make make errrors!!
Buckeye
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 6009

Re: Rubbing tires...

Post by Buckeye »

I rear-ended a slowed/stopped small auto two weeks ago because the Bvan brakes didn't stop/slow me while going less than 30 mph and I slid (hydroplaned?) 4 car lengths. Looking at the front of my vehicle, the only thing that seemed affected was a cracked license plate cover. But when the sheriff asked us to move to a safer place, I heard a sound every time I turned left. He directed me to the local Ford dealership and they raised my vehicle to look for any safety problems as a result of the accident. In so doing, they found the clearance between the right front passenger tire and front wheel frame was only about an inch, instead of the normal 3" space. So the tire was scraping the frame every time I turned the wheel. They stretched the frame back into place for $60. Took about 15 min. So if you've been in an accident and hear noises, look to see how much space is between your tire and the frame. (Or if you've bought a used Bvan and hear a rubbing noise, check the tire clearances.)