Anyone have tire recommendations?

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
Cherstream
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Anyone have tire recommendations?

Post by Cherstream »

So I am ready to replace the tires on this baby (and it's gong into the shop this weeks for lots of small repairs) does anyone have an brand recommendations they particularly like?

Thank you in advance.

Cheri
Cheri Sicard<br>Author, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Easy Freezer Meals (2011 Alpha Books)<br>Owner 1992 Airstream B190<br>
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

I got some nice Uniroyals at Walmart recently for a decent price. As they should be replaced every five years, you will probably not wear them out, so why spend more for a "better" tire.
Cherstream
Weekend Camper

Thank you Makes Sense

Post by Cherstream »

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. Even if I do some long trips (and with the current price of fuel, that 's not likely to be happening), I won't be putting all that many miles on them.
Cheri Sicard<br>Author, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Easy Freezer Meals (2011 Alpha Books)<br>Owner 1992 Airstream B190<br>
Blair
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Blair »

Cheri,

IMHO what's most important when purchasing tires for this type of vehicle is the load rating.

These vehicles are very heavy, and you should consider the weight when purchasing tires.
Cherstream
Weekend Camper

Another good tip, thanks

Post by Cherstream »

Thank you, that's another great tip and I don't know to look for these kinds of things. Appreciate it.

Cheri
lv2roam
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998

Replacement Tires

Post by lv2roam »

You may want to consider larger tires for the rear if you ever tow anything. The standard tires on my '98 are LT245/75R16 load range E. That gives you 3042 lbs at 80 PSI. That is close to the van weight - mine on scale was 5700 lbs - not much margin especially if you tow. I switched to LT265/75R16 load range E. That gives you 3415 per tire at 80 PSI. If you also put them of the front you will have to modify the fiberglass trim to prevent rubbing in tight turns. I just put them on the back and am very satisfied - kept the old size for the spare. I had a set of X Radial LTs by Michelon and was happy - just swapped them out due to age (cracking after 6 years on rear and older on the front. Had Goodyears in the past and was not happy with them, a couple of tread separations. Make sure you buy the right load rating.
goinmobile
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by goinmobile »

Make sure they are LT and E load as the poster above stated.