New Bilstein Shocks

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Re: New Bilstein Shocks

Post by nvestysly »

The front shocks are installed and yes it makes a difference. It's hard to tell at this point if the change is significant because the rear shocks are not installed yet. The rear shock have not shipped yet and I may not receive them until August - they're backordered.

As others have said, the front shocks are difficult to remove and install. Fortunately I had a ratcheting box end wrench with a flexible end and this made all the difference. The nuts were still difficult to access but the ratchet box end was a big help. Here's a picture of a similar set of wrenches. In my case, I used a 3/4" on the top of the shock. I think a 19mm would have also fit. On the bottom attachment point I used a conventional 18mm box-end wrench as there is plenty of access to the nut at the bottom of the shock.
Attachments
ratchet-style_wrench.jpg
ratchet-style_wrench.jpg (50.39 KiB) Viewed 13085 times
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

The front shocks are installed - I think I posted more about that above.

Even with just the front shocks there is an improvement in the ride. Hopefully the rear shocks will arrive soon and it will improve the ride even further. We've driven the van several hundred miles and felt the improvement.

As of now, the body roll is decreased when going over speed bumps, driveway entry curbs, etc. The front end simply goes over the bump and stops moving quickly as the shock dampens the motion. The rear goes over the bump and still continues moving through an additional up/down cycle before the old shocks dampen the motion.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Just got an email from AJUSA that the back ordered rear Bilsteins should be available in October. Cutting it tight here in northern MI to get them installed before winter.

Phil
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Got both a phone call and email from AJUSA. The rear shocks are finally in and shipped. Yeah.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Got the rear shocks finally installed, as AJUSA finally got them in stock. Bottom bolts came off surprisingly easy. Top not so. Ended up cutting the rubber buffer out and using a cutoff wheel on a die grinder to cut through the shock on the bottom side of the frame where they attach. Probably took about 1hr per shock. Installation was a bear also. Could not get the lower properly lined up with the van sitting on the ground. Had to jack up the frame till the tire just started to lift. Was then able to get the lower mounted, still with difficulty. Clearance on one side to install the upper rubber buffer, washer and nut was not too bad. Clearance on the muffler side was tight, but finally got it done. 2 hours to install both shocks.
Phil
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Post by lido14co »

Congratulations. I had mine installed at my local threw and break dealer for a hundred bucks and they complained what a tough job it was. Kudos to you for on a successful install.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Forgot to mention, the 190 rides much better now, as others have also experienced. A little harsher at slow speeds, but great improvement on the highway.