New Bilstein Shocks

Tires, shocks, sway bars, air bags... What crosswind?
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

New Bilstein Shocks

Post by lido14co »

We just got back from our first road trip after installing a set of Bilstein heavy duty shocks to replace what looked like the original shocks on our 92 (with 58K). What a huge difference. It rides a little stiffer, but the handling in windy conditions is so much better with much less sway. And cornering is now almost as good as a regular passenger car. Even road drift has been reduced significantly so i can actually enjoy the scenery now! The shocks cost about $370 for a set of four (online from AJUSA) and my local tire store installed them for a hundred bucks. I thought about tackling the installation myself but i'm glad i didn't as one of the old shocks was apparently a bear to remove. If you're looking for a way to upgrade your ride, I highly recommend these shocks. A little pricier than stock shocks or something like Monroe replacements but worth it. When you're shopping for shocks you can just use Ford E-350 Econoline for the vehicle info. Happy 190ing!
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: New Bilstein Shocks

Post by Wakeslayer »

We replaced ours in June. Made a huge difference as well.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

Looking to replace my shocks. Do you have a part number for the Blistine's? What retailer did you buy them from?

Thanks!
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

Model numbers for the Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks are 33-176857 for the rear and 33-187570 for the fronts. I got mine from ajusa.com but eshocks.com also has them for the lowest price of about $84 per shock. The sites say these shocks fit 1992-2007 Econolines so it shouldn't matter what year your 190 is unless it's one of the early models. You can attempt to install them yourself but I opted to have my local tire shop do the install for $100. I still can't believe how much better the ride is with these shocks.
Happy trails.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Thanks much-- just ordered them. Planning to have my mechanic install them. Looking forward to a nicer ride! 93, 35K miles, but I'm sure the original's are toast!
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Finally got my new shocks installed-- What a difference, much better ride, certainly less toss and sway. Glad I finally did it. I'm the second owner, mechanic is fairly certain it still had the original shocks on it. Also said they were a pain in the a** to remove, but he was used to it, as all ford econoline vans are the same.
farnorth

Post by farnorth »

After reading Bilstein shocks you guys wrote. I ordered them for $336 and was going to install them myself, as I am an expert mechanic, Flight engineer, aircraft mechanic,
USAF, and restored many vintage vehicles. On my 1993 B-190 with 40K miles on same, stock shocks where shot! I have a small hand and not having a lift to raise van several
ft. I could not get a wrench on top nut to remove or install shocks. I live in Alaska and store van in Boulder City NV. Not having my full compliment of tools, I inquired for
the job to be done locally in Las Vegas !! Quotes from about $360. to $425. took me my suprise ! I did get it done for $160 by a reputable shop, but told me they goofed
on the quote, as two mechanics spent 7.5 hrs to install them!!! They are a bear to remove and install! Anyway you guys are right get the best BILSTEIN
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

Now that you have the Bilsteins you're ready for a rear sway bar. There's some posts on the site. Helwig 7183. Makes for an even better ride, especially cornering. I got mine on ebay for $190 and it took me about three hous to install though others have done it in less time. Had to enlarge two already existing holes on the frame and everything bolts on.
less

Post by less »

I am looking at those Bilstein shocks for my 1993 B190 and looking at the front I don't have any shocks up front just coil springs, what's the catch did they originally come out with just coil springs? Less
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

The shocks are just behind the coil springs unless someone removed them. I believe the E350 chassis is the same from 92 on. Check to see if you have shock mounts with nothing in them. Here's a pic though it doesn't show much. Good luck!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (229.3 KiB) Viewed 19897 times
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Just ordered from AJUSA for $311.84 on sale. Free shipping.
After first really long trip to FL and back to MI I realized I needed new shocks. I installed new ones on our previous 91 B190 and don't recall a big problem. Will take a look at our 93 to see why it is so hard. Need new ball joints at 64,000 miles as rubber seals rotted away and grease dried out. Hopefully shop doing ball joints will give me a good price for shock install.
Phil
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

In the process of replacing original shocks on our 93. Have the fronts done, and yes, a real pain. Clearance for a wrench on the top nut on one side was almost non-existant. Took about 1/2 hour just to find out what size nut was up there. It's 15mm ATF. Only wrench I could get in there was an offset box end. Could not turn it, so turned the welded on nut underneath it on the other side of the bracket. Hard, slow process and the shaft finally broke, rather than the nut coming off. Bottom nut was easys to get to but frozen on. Used penetrating oil, heat, and hammer to try to free it up. Thought I had it, but the stud broke on the threaded portion. Had to cut up a bolt and weld the threaded part onto the remaining stud. A real bear to remove and install even when the nuts are off. Pressurized shocks are hard(make that very hard) to move when they are in place. On the other side, there was more clearance at the top for some reason so I could get a socket on the nut along with a ratchet wrench. Nut and threaded shaft were sprayed with penetrating oil, and it started coming off until just about all the way off, then the shaft broke. At least I could move the ratchet about 2 or 3 clicks each time. For the bottom nut, not wanting to break the stud again and drag out the welder, I started with a chisel to try to split the nut open. Was not making much progress so got out my Dremel with a cutoff disc and cut through the washer, a little rubber, and about 1/2 of the nut all the way to the threads. Finally got it broke loose and removed without breaking the stud. Again, very hard to install the new shock, but got it in. Plan on about 5 hours per front shock. I am also replacing the calipers and flex brake hose while I am at it, as one hose was cracked open where you could see the inner, and the steel portion next to the caliper was very rusty. Plan on about an hour to remove each hose, as the clip holding it to the frame is hard to remove also.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

Phil--Wow, thanks for the detailed description. Congratulations on the victory getting the shock replacement done. Sounds brutal. And impressive. How is the ride now? Let's see a pic!
Keystone
B190 4x4
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

I have uploaded pictures to photobucket, but can't figure out how to get them posted here, even though I did this once before and re-read the directions. Also created a gallery(Planck's 93) and have the pictures there, but something must not be set right because that gallery does not show up when I click on g21Img. So, if you want to see what I have done so far, go to the gallery and I have added some description with each picture.

Phil
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

After several other upgrades to the suspension on our 1998 B190 I've order a set of Bilstein's - same part numbers listed in one of the posts above. I first contacted Bilstein USA to make sure I wasn't overlooking something but the guy on the phone at Bilstein indicated those are the right numbers for a heavy duty application. The other parts they sell for an E350 have a comfort ride. Since my concern is the top-heavy nature of the B190 and it's tendency for body roll the recommendation was for heavy duty units.

Unfortunately, when I placed the order with ajusa.com I found the rear shocks are on back-order. The same is true when trying to order from eshocks.com - apparently Bilstein is behind on production and it may be sometime in August before the rear shocks are delivered.

Oh well... front shocks for now, rear shocks later. I'll let you know if this is the silver bullet I'm hoping for to achieve better handling.

Lucius
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate