Buying it back...

General chat about (almost) any topic. Keep it clean!.....NO Politics..!

Buying it back...

Postby Sub2RainEN » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 am

Also, any luck finding a replacement key for the generator and water fill? Somehow, between the lady I had clean it and the mechanic, it got lost. She bagged up everything when she cleaned, including my stuff, like chargers and adapters that were plugged in. I suspect the key either got put in the plastic bag and fell out or was thrown away or it was in the console on the doghouse and fell off when the mechanic was working on it. Completely slipped my mind to add it to my keychain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
User avatar
Sub2RainEN
Weekend Camper
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Buying it back...

Postby skater » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:40 am

Ugh on the fuel pump.

Yep, I do have a battery charger. That’s how I know it’s not taking a charge.

I think I found the correct key for the water fill for mine. It should be coming tomorrow, I think. It’s a Deco-A key. Note, I forget off the top of my head what year yours is, so it might be different. But since you’ve seen yours recently it’ll be easier to identify.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Buying it back...

Postby skater » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 am

I found this chart that might help figure out what key is what. It doesn't specifically list the B190, though, so it's still a guessing game.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Buying it back...

Postby skater » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 pm

Deco-A was a winner for the water fill! These are the ones I bought.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Buying it back...

Postby skater » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Advance Auto sent a coupon for 20% off your order over $50 this weekend, so I took advantage of it and some money I got for Christmas to buy a new battery. Took the old engine battery in, bought a new one. Got it home and the terminals were reversed.

I know exactly how it happened, too - the old battery had one of those felt rings on the terminal. The red one was on the negative terminal for some reason - I noted it, but it wasn't a big deal. The guy checked to confirm he had the right post orientation, but he saw the red ring and assumed that was the positive terminal. Not his fault, just one of those things that happens when you're buying parts for a used car...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Buying it back...

Postby skater » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:39 pm

New battery installed. Exchanging it turned into a hassle - we went to a different store to exchange it, and there was all sorts of problems, but after 20 minutes of us standing there, they got it straightened out. Fired up pretty quickly this morning, and it didn’t seem to try to die when I put it in gear (I didn’t try to actually move it).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Buying it back...

Postby Sub2RainEN » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:10 am

Mine is a 1990, so I'll take a chance on the Deco-A. It doesn't look like the key I saw, which may have been the generator door or just a random key.



skater wrote:Ugh on the fuel pump.

Yep, I do have a battery charger. That’s how I know it’s not taking a charge.

I think I found the correct key for the water fill for mine. It should be coming tomorrow, I think. It’s a Deco-A key. Note, I forget off the top of my head what year yours is, so it might be different. But since you’ve seen yours recently it’ll be easier to identify.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
User avatar
Sub2RainEN
Weekend Camper
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Buying it back...

Postby skater » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Sub2RainEN wrote:Mine is a 1990, so I'll take a chance on the Deco-A. It doesn't look like the key I saw, which may have been the generator door or just a random key.


Yeah, the generator door is different. I have a list of three potential keys (based on that spreadsheet I linked above) it could be. I was able to eliminate a few others with a little googling about the lock brands - many of them are just cylinders intended to go in a handle for a door, so not what would be used for the generator compartment.

My next step is to see which of those three I've already tried, because I'm pretty sure I've already tried two of them, between what our trailer uses and what Choptop sent me. 190-b-651 mentioned a Deco-D key (different from the Deco-A) that might be it...and I'm not sure that one is on my list.

Edit: The key list is 1101X, CH751, and TM243. I've definitely already tried the CH751. Not sure about the 1101X. And the list is missing the Deco-D key, but I haven't found much info on them yet.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Buying it back...

Postby Sub2RainEN » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:44 am

My Deco-A key arrived today, but didn't work for either the water intake or generator. Oh well! Hope ours are the same, so if you find something that works.

BTW, think my sewer is behind the left rear tire, so who knows what our Bs have in common.


skater wrote:
Sub2RainEN wrote:Mine is a 1990, so I'll take a chance on the Deco-A. It doesn't look like the key I saw, which may have been the generator door or just a random key.


Yeah, the generator door is different. I have a list of three potential keys (based on that spreadsheet I linked above) it could be. I was able to eliminate a few others with a little googling about the lock brands - many of them are just cylinders intended to go in a handle for a door, so not what would be used for the generator compartment.

My next step is to see which of those three I've already tried, because I'm pretty sure I've already tried two of them, between what our trailer uses and what Choptop sent me. 190-b-651 mentioned a Deco-D key (different from the Deco-A) that might be it...and I'm not sure that one is on my list.

Edit: The key list is 1101X, CH751, and TM243. I've definitely already tried the CH751. Not sure about the 1101X. And the list is missing the Deco-D key, but I haven't found much info on them yet.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
User avatar
Sub2RainEN
Weekend Camper
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Buying it back...

Postby skater » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Quick update on this. I’ve replaced the cylinders of both generator door locks. I also noticed it was dripping oil...turns out the drain plug is stripped. :(
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Buying it back...

Postby 190-b-651 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:23 pm

skater wrote:Quick update on this. I’ve replaced the cylinders of both generator door locks. I also noticed it was dripping oil...turns out the drain plug is stripped. :(
O No your finding out she's been abused away from home!

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
User avatar
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Re: Buying it back...

Postby skater » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:00 pm

190-b-651 wrote:O No your finding out she's been abused away from home!


For all I know, I may have done it during the last oil change while I owned it before. But, I knew I was buying a project, and I knew it would need TLC. Fortunately the oil pan isn't super expensive. I'm not sure how hard the repair will be. From a quick look, there's an exhaust pipe that runs underneath part of it, so that may be a complication.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Buying it back...

Postby 190-b-651 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am

If you want alternatives you can helacoil it or other options are available much easier and cheaper than replacing the pan. I found this and many other products with good reviews. Image

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
User avatar
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Re: Buying it back...

Postby skater » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:49 pm

190-b-651 wrote:If you want alternatives you can helacoil it or other options are available much easier and cheaper than replacing the pan. I found this and many other products with good reviews. Image

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk


Gotta find one that's larger than 14mm, though. That seems to be the problem with those. A helicoil is an option, but I feel like replacing the pan is the best solution.

If I could find a way to seal it, one of these would be nice.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: Buying it back...

Postby 190-b-651 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Lots of options but I agree with the way your thinking especially with something as critical as oil.
I've seen some reviews with people using JB weld to put these in and have had good luck. Just say'n.
But like you my first option would be to replace the oil pan.
Image

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
User avatar
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:35 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron