Cost of repairs

General chat about (almost) any topic. Keep it clean!.....NO Politics..!
bobby_409

Cost of repairs

Post by bobby_409 »

Web Master if this is not the correct place for this please remove.
I have seen where questions have been raised about costs of repair.
This is actual cost of my repairs that I had, to get my 1992-Ford 350/with 460 engine 190B in top condition. Some my fault and some as we say in Texas "He skint me a little". Also, I'm not prone to do much of my own work. Milage at purchase 45K.

B Van--traded old 31 foot Airsteam Excel that was beginning to need a great deal of work. Got rid of 1991 Ford Pickup. Paid some "boot" to seller for Van.

Costs:Good going over and tnue-up by Ford Mechanic--$443
RV shop replaced roof airconditioner, (Squirrel cage out of balance and ruined coil), Water pump in Van, Sewer Hose and Electrical covers broken, inspected and run all other Appliances, repaired shower head and Air conditioner drip pan leak, ----$1,651
1st trip out, Van automotive air failed--New coil, o-rings etc.--$653
2nd trip out, Cad Converter failed. (Indicated by no pulling power)--
Cost $433, installed Heavy duty shocks at same time--$216
3rd trip out--2 tires blew. (need to check age of tires they may look like no wear and be old.)--cost--4 tires align and balance--$496
Van Generator would not start--Replaced Voltage regulator and fuel line (from vibration rub)--$524.
Self induced loss of sleeper front window (low Bank drive through). I could only get from Airsteam because it is thin and curved. Cost with shipping $601--installation $100. Paint job where the duct tape was to hold $20 plywood board to get home--$330 including repair of back where the previous owner, lady, had backed into something and broke hose and electric cover and left small dent.
New panels in bottom of both seats and new pad (found I could sleep on it it was so bad) and cover on seat/bed (only seat not back)--$300.
Next trip--side enterance door lock and handle failed--only available from Ford (part cost $112.50)--Total--$173.

Can't think of anything else. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY B VAN
Spring has sprung and I'll be off again soon.
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Post by craigmar »

Man!! After reading Bobby's post, I feel very fortunate with my van purchase. It's a 1991 and we paid 6900 for it. We replaced the tires because while they had almost new tread, the sidewalls were cracked and I didn't want to chance a blowout so that was 500 for four new 10 ply tires. We also replaced the the bed which the previous owner had put in place and what they did with the original couch I don't know, another 500 for a new folding couch with our choice of material. We had a problem with the coach battery and opted to replace it although I was told that it may be o.k. with just a good charge? Why chance it. Every thing else works just fine with no leaks etc. I also replaced the toilet at my wifes request so we installed a taller than stock toilet and now she's happy. Our first trip was short, only about 400 miles one way but our miles per gallon with both fuel tanks loaded and also the water tank, we averaged about 13. In the hills it was about 11 and flatland we got 15. Thanks to Skater we are learning new things every day about the van and are very excited to have this van. We used to camp in an 89 ford van with a porta-pottie and fold down seats so this is really a big step-up for us. We had a chance to get a class c for a very good price from her parents a couple of years ago but the miles per were bad and we wouldn't be able to take it where we wanted to go as far as off the pavement to get to put in places for the kayaks. We have the basic off the floor van with a 4 burner stove and a household refridgerator in place of the 3 way. The dealer whom I trust and respect for his honesty said it was actually a better way to go as it cooled down a lot better and held the temp better and that was born out with the small trip we took. Sorry about the length but this is open chat so I will leave and read up some more. Craig
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

On my 1991 currently @ 44,000 miles

One set of Michelins, XPS RIB @ $600

One set 9" wide Ford wheels @ $125

(sold the old wheels & tires for $500)

One Surge Protector @ $99

2 Dinosaur Electronic Boards @ $159.90

(furnace & water heater)(don't buy original replacements, no protectors)

One thermostat for Dometic frig @ $65

(a nightmare to install...I recommend not trying that)

One Carb for Onan gen @ $124

One, complete curtain set @ $300

(local lady...)

Gas Shocks & new front brake hoses @ $225

2" riser blocks & new U-bolts @ $50

(rear....a must IMO)

Black water/Gray water dump mod @ $30

Pretty much it other than the normal maintenance items/costs...
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

For mine, at 112,000 miles:

New transmission, $3400

New generator, $2200

New engine water pump, $600 (this one bugs me, I could've done it myself had I caught the problem)

New fog lights, $20

I've done various other minor things but nothing that's more than a few bucks.

Still to do:

Find seat covers for the captain's chairs

New carpeting (probably can get a remnant cheap)
brenda
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by brenda »

Skater,Let me know if you find some decent seatcovers.
Rucorosa

Post by Rucorosa »

Bought my '95 with 90k miles for $7200

I had the following done:
Inspection by my mechanic upon purchase
4 New Michelin tires
Replaced 1st House battery with Deep Cycle from Walmart
Installed 2nd house Optima battery under couch w/vent box
New belts: A/C Pulley and some other belt
New electric bathroom vent
Installed 3rd seat belt on couch (it was missing and I have 3 kids)
Installed New kitchen faucet
Repaired Ladder that came loose from back door
New SunForce 1500 Sine Wave Inverter Installed
Replaced overhead mattress foam
Replaced new Propane regulator
Replacing (it's in transit) HydroFlame Furnace

Price for all of the above .... about $3100

The only things that were necessities from above were the tires, furnace, propane regulator, seat belt....the rest were wants/upgrades.

So far we have taken 2 trips to our favorite ski spot and had a blast....Priceless.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Wow, I forgot about this thread. Since the above I replaced the converter and fuse panel, and installed an Optima Blue Top (AGM deep cycle) battery, which have been working perfectly. I want to say I put nearly $200 into the converter and fuse panel, plus whatever the battery cost.

We also replaced the carpet with vinyl tile, but I got that for free - my brother had extra from his prior house and gave me two boxes, which is about 1.5 boxes more than I needed. :) We love the change - it's much easier to keep it clean.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit