roof cargo

General chat about (almost) any topic. Keep it clean!.....NO Politics..!
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

roof cargo

Post by Minniemouse »

We are interested in taking our canoe with us camping. We notice that none of the photos have anything being carried on the roof. Has anyone had experince with using the roof rack, carrying a canoe?
:?
Minnie Mouse, North Carolina southeastern coast
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: roof cargo

Post by skater »

Minniemouse wrote:We are interested in taking our canoe with us camping. We notice that none of the photos have anything being carried on the roof. Has anyone had experince with using the roof rack, carrying a canoe?
:?
There was someone that had looked into it and found it was do-able. Of course you're going to want to watch the height - you're starting at 10' and adding more.

I don't know that I'd trust the roof rack for anything very heavy - it's just aluminum.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Re: roof cargo

Post by Minniemouse »

I am posting my own reply to this subject, 7 years ago. We sold our heavy canoe, bought an inflatable one, added a cargo rack to the back of the van, and a metal storage box with a lock.
A few years later we carried our tall extension ladder while traveling for 4 hours to help our son with some work on his house. My husband bought some new cable ties to attach the ladder to the roof. An hour into the trip the cable ties broke, with the ladder falling onto the interstate highway. We were very thankful that we were traveling on a weekday in the middle of the day, with almost NO traffic. The fall damaged the ladder,& our A/C roof box, but caused no damage to the camper roof rack. This past summer we traveled for 6 weeks in the b190. We used a dry bag for some things we did not need often. No problem with the rack holding the bag, but it is a pain to get up there when you are not so young anymore.
Minnie Mouse, North Carolina southeastern coast