Sprinter chassis experience out there?

General chat about (almost) any topic. Keep it clean!.....NO Politics..!
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Sprinter chassis experience out there?

Post by Reddeer »

Hello all,

I believe some of you have had some experience with the Mercedes chassis/engine. Pros and cons on about any RV brand, new or used would be appreciated. Direct experience on maintenance issues, parts and service costs would be helpful. The old '93 is hanging in there for now- just like to keep my intel updated. 20,000 miles in 18 months and 6000 more scheduled. 8O

There is plenty of praise and a few nightmares stories on the internet - would like to hear some straight talk from our group.

Thanks!
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Sprinter chassis experience out there?

Post by jb1rd73 »

I had an 06 140 high roof cargo and loved it. Great gas mileage and ride, harder to find parts and a competent mechanic. I had planned on converting it to an RV but rust issues, and seeing Keystones 4x4 B190 changed my mind :D (mine was a previous pool service van so not indicative of the brand in general)
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Don't have any personal experience with these, but..... The vans I have seen, cargo, passenger or RV -- most seem to have a lot of rust!

Steve
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Thanks for those posts!
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

Before I purchased my '96 I did a lot of research on Sprinter vans and 4x4. The '05 and '06 years seemed to be recommended for several reasons dealing with simpler engines. There are always one or two for sale on ebay for around $40,000, usually the Itasca or Minnie Winnie versions or straight up van conversions. These guys in CA have been doing the 4x4 conversions for a long time and convert used Sprinters to 4x4: http://whitefeather4x4conversions.com/ I had a number of email exchanges with them.

Problem is the the total cost was always double what the Airstream was going to be and although the gas mileage in the Sprinter is much better, it would take far more miles than I would drive to make up the difference. AND, I really like the high ceiling in our Airstreams--they are really liveable. Also, there have been millions of Econoline vans sold in the usa and while the sprinter has been in Europe for decades, if you are not working for FedEx, it is not always so easy finding a shop to get them worked on... Chrysler, now Chrylser/Fiat, is pushing the Fiat based vans and is no longer selling Sprinter vans = if you live in a rural area, as I do, makes it harder still. There is a Ford dealer right in town and easy to get them worked on everywhere. Having said all that, if I was not worried about 4x4, a used sprinter is a really appealing option given how nicely they handle. AND, the new ones are coming with a 4x4 option and if you let Sportsmobile do its thing, all can be yours for $120K. Now, if only my Powerball# would come through... :P
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Been keeping an eye out for Sprinter vans since I posted-- every one is riddled with rust! Worst I have seen in years on a production vehicle-- reminds me of 70's and 80's stuff from Japan
VT964x4
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by VT964x4 »

A good and important warning! What about the southwest? Anything rust free from out there?
Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Reddeer »

Thanks for all the posts. I am not too concerned about rust in my location and travel areas - NM, AZ, and central CA, but maintenance costs and availability are my biggest question marks.
barsip
B190 Year: 1997
Location: Kentucky based but most of the time rambling between the NW and Mexico

Post by barsip »

I've got a 2004 Airstream Sprinter I drove 20k to Alaska and around from Kentucky this spring and summer. No problems and 18+mpg. I love my '97 B190 AND my Sprinter!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk