Seasond traveler

General chat about (almost) any topic. Keep it clean!.....NO Politics..!
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Seasond traveler

Post by Choptop »

Well it would appear that I have achieved the status of "Seasoned Traveler", sure would be nice if I could actually travel w/the B. Picked up fuel pressure regulator, plugs, cap & rotor and fuel filter, which I am confident will get me traveling. :)
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Seasond traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Hope those parts chase your gremlin away and gets you back on the road!
1993 Airstream B190
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Kentuckian wrote:Hope those parts chase your gremlin away and gets you back on the road!
5 plugs in easy peasy, 6 is being a bear and I can hardly wait for the 2 front ones. :x
sparky
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Post by sparky »

Ford has a problem with fuel pumps. They may show correct pressure at fuel rail but they will vapor lock. Yup I know its fuel injected with pump in the tank and its a pressurized system. But they will vapor lock. Replaced my fuel pump and problem was gone. Gotta empty the tank and drop it.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

sparky wrote:Ford has a problem with fuel pumps. They may show correct pressure at fuel rail but they will vapor lock. Yup I know its fuel injected with pump in the tank and its a pressurized system. But they will vapor lock. Replaced my fuel pump and problem was gone. Gotta empty the tank and drop it.
Thanks, read that some where, will start w/the cheap and relatively easy fuel pressure regulator, then go from their if necessary.
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Post by micabarry »

Just returned from wonderful trip up the Gaspe peninsula, around the top and down to New Brunswick. Perfect trip for B190 even though some grades were as steep as 14%. On one of these uphills we blew the "O" ring in the tank transfer valve and started leaking gas. It stopped after the pressure was off the system but we spent a night with all the windows open and the propane off. I found a garage the next day and between the mechanic's broken English, my very broken French and lots of pointing I figured out that if he couldn't repair it he could get a used one at a local junk yard. He repaired it and we headed on down the road. As we pulled into the next National Park at the end of the day, after just filling up, we both had this sickening feeling that we were smelling gas. " I think it's the guy in front of us," says I. Then as I glanced in the side view mirror I saw this trail of liquid snaking back as far as I could see. We hurried into the campsite and shut down and I slid under to find the transfer valve completely dry and the gas still dripping from the running board. (This is the point where you CarTalk fans try to figure it out).
Anyhow, discovered the leak was from the front gas cap. I had been running on the rear tank and been pumping directly into the front tank as well, and since it was almost full, it overflowed. So when we left I ran on the front tank with no problems. But wait! When I switched back to ck on the status of the rear tank, the 3/4 level it was at was now full and I was about to start pumping out the rear gas cap. We still had a week on our trip and I didn't feel like spending another day in a repair shop so we motored happily along switching back and forth between tanks. Now we are home and I need to figure out if I need to replace the transfer unit (Probably $600) or find something wrong that I can fix. First step is to figure out how this could be happening. I really don't know how this thing works. If any of you B190 gurus have an idea I would certainly welcome hearing about it.
Sorry for the length of this but for me one of the ways this forum works is to share stories about our adventures. I just love this rig and I finally have it set up so it drives and handles really well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

I know nothing of these things but I am sure that someone will chime in.
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler

Post by slapthecat »

I do remember reading about this problem a few years back... pretty sure it as on the Ford-Trucks.com forum

Found this?!?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1065 ... tanks.html
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Post by micabarry »

slapthecat wrote:I do remember reading about this problem a few years back... pretty sure it as on the Ford-Trucks.com forum

Found this?!?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1065 ... tanks.html
Hey thanks. Lots of info about both the switching valve and tank pumps. Do you think they could have built a more complicated system? I think it is the switching valve that was the original problem and even though the mechanics solved the leak problem something happened to prevent it from shutting off fuel from the tank not selected. I'll let the forum know what the solution turns out to be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk