Van modifications

General chat about (almost) any topic. Keep it clean!.....NO Politics..!
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Van modifications

Post by craigmar »

If you go to the gallery and veiw the Ruby Lake, Nevada Pictures, you will see that I have a canopy that is next to the van giving us extra space, 12' x 12' to be exact which is enclosed with a mesh to keep the bugs out.
We just put it next to the van and open the doors, (taking the pins out that hold the doors from going flat against the van) and move them up next to the doors allowing us to step right into the canopy.
I also attached some spring loaded "J" hooks or rope hooks to the upper portion of the fiberglass to attach a tarp and and then use adjustable tent poles on the end which gives us plenty of shade and protection from the rain. I have several different tarp sizes to choose from and can attach a tarp to the van, assemble the canopy and then run the tarp over the top and still have a ten foot overhang to put chairs under, atv's or whatever to protect from the elements, in our case we usually put our inflatables under the overhang. I can also have a 3' overhang on the sides of the canopy for extra shade or protection from rain, etc. A smaller tarp such as the one in the pictures is just about right for most outings, giving the needed protection when the canopy is left at the campsite as on this trip.
Plans are, that I am going to attach hooks to the drivers side for more shade so that either side will be in the shade no matter what.
I would like to have a factory awning as I'm sure the purist's would frown upon my solution but money is always a factor and I didn't have the money to spend for a factory setup. I am into my Mod's about $200 which includes the hooks, tent poles, rope, stakes,tarps and canopy. I am able to change the size whenever I desire, plus, we experienced strong winds the first few days and didn't have to worry about the awning being damaged as others have mentioned in other posts, everything was staked down and held fast by the spring loaded "J" hooks.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I've seen that done a couple times, though not with a B-van. I'm curious about how you got the doors to open all the way like that - I'll have to look at mine for the pin you mentioned.

Your solution definitely wouldn't work for me - my cat would disappear. :)

My camper did come with a screen door - the idea is that you open the side doors then a screen velcro's over the entranceway (there's a strip of velcro around the entire entrance). I tried it once, and my cat tried to slip out even before I had the thing up. But it seemed like a great idea for those without feline complications.

Also, mine came with two screens for the front windows - you roll down the windows, put these in, then roll the windows up until they're snug. Again, a nice idea though I've never used them - I've found that the Fantastic Fan does an amazing job circulating air from the other windows, though I might have a different opinion if I were camping on battery only.

The awning is nice but I'm not sure the stock awning is worth the trouble. I'll post my thoughts about alternatives later...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Woodsywizz

Re: Van modifications

Post by Woodsywizz »

I like your solution to the Patio Problem.
Mine is more primitive - I tie-wrap a tarp above the doors, hold the corners out with dowel poles & tent stakes, and have quick easy shade. It's stood up to decent winds & rain, but if it tears I'll have to buy another $5.99 tarp. :-( Also there's the continuing expense of the tie-wraps.