B17 recovery at Talkeetna Alaska...member MichaelC is there

General chat about (almost) any topic. Keep it clean!.....NO Politics..!
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

B17 recovery at Talkeetna Alaska...member MichaelC is there

Post by Alaskan »

One of our members, MichaelC is participating in the recovery of parts & pieces of a B17 in Talkeetna Alaska this week.

Hopefully he'll jump in here and tell us more about that when he gets home.

KTUU News Alaska...video clip

http://www.ktuu.com/videobeta/5eaad015- ... lies-Again

Related article:
http://ktna.org/2011/07/29/champaign-la ... talkeetna/
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

That's pretty cool!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
MichaelC

B17 recovery at Talkeetnba Alaska...member MichaelC is there

Post by MichaelC »

3 August 2011 10:30 Alaska Time

Hello, Enthusiasts!

I came to Talkeetna with about a dozen volunteers, to recover the wreckage of a 1944 B-17G, to send back to Ohio for use on the B-17G in restoration at the Champaign Aviation Museum in Urbana.

I'll be switching from "B17" to "B190" once I return to Ohio, because I'll be presenting four seminars and staffing the computer help desk at the Family Motor Coach Association convention in Madison, Wisconsin starting on 10 August.

"Happy Cybercamping!"
Michael Canode, F13059S - 1997 B190 "Baby Newell II"
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

25 pictures on the Champaign Aviation Museum website.....

http://www.champaignaviationmuseum.org/ ... ATEST_NEWS
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

B-17

Post by craigmar »

It will be interesting to see any photos, my father in law who lives with us was a B-17 pilot and instructor pilot before going over to England with the 8th Army Air Corps. We have quite an air museum here in Utah at Hill Air Force Base that has many,many, aircraft. We took dad there a couple of years ago and while they have a static display of a B-17,not many people are allowed inside the plane itself. We were fortunate enough to have a volunteer overhear dad talking about his experience and just standing in front of the plane replaying in his mind some of his experiences that he asked dad if he wanted to go up into the plane for a little while and so he was able to get back into the pilot's seat, he related a lot of info to the volunteer and then was left on his own with his private thoughts for a while before coming back to the present.
My father was a Marine during the War and I have been fortunate to hear about the Pacific and Europe from both fathers but the thing that is most impressive is how young the men were and the sacrifices they made for all of us past and present and the sacrifices throughout our history of men and women willing to put themselves in harms way for all of us.
Makes me appreciate my freedom when I think about all that was given, especially when I put up or take down my flags (Stars and Stripes, Marine Corps) every Day.