Raido off house battery

In Camper Entertainment - televisions, stereo systems, DVD players, CB radios, computer, internet
kitemanks
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Raido off house battery

Post by kitemanks »

Has anyone run power from the coach battery to the radio so that you wont drain the vehicle battery??? I know there is a few ways to do this, and I thought I would ask before I repeat anyone else's mistakes. The ultimate goal would be to be able to run my non stock radio in a way that I don't discharge the vehicle battery, and I don't have to reset the head unit's presets every time I switch power if I do indeed end up switching power between the batteries.

Would it be simpler to just rewire the stereo and run it off the house battery?? That way the extra draw when parked for extended periods while plugged in, would be compensated for by the charger??
:roll:
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Raido off house battery

Post by skater »

I did. In mine, there was a large junction of wires under the driver's side carpet, so it was easy to run it to my aftermarket radio (which had fuses). I wired both the ignition and constant power to that. Worked great. I bought the upgraded remote for mine, and put the holder next to the fridge. Very often, I would start the day by turning on the radio, then end the day by shutting it off at night. I had installed a Sirius tuner, and an aux input as well, so I could play music or the laptop through the system as well.

If you don't have that junction, it's harder but not impossible to run it to the fuse box.

I'm moving the thread to In-Camper Entertainment forum.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
kitemanks
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by kitemanks »

I wonder if the wiring diagram will be in my Hanes book or if it was an aftermarket setup from Airstream? Something to look forward to with the volt meter I suppose.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

kitemanks wrote:I wonder if the wiring diagram will be in my Hanes book or if it was an aftermarket setup from Airstream? Something to look forward to with the volt meter I suppose.
No, the Hanes book is probably going to have the stock van wiring only, it won't have anything Airstream added.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit