Cable TV Port Problem

In Camper Entertainment - televisions, stereo systems, DVD players, CB radios, computer, internet
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Cable TV Port Problem

Post by Planck »

Out camping for the first time this year and decided to tackle an ongoing problem I have had with the 93 B190 when we camp where cable is available. Connecting the cable to the input port behind the entry door has never worked, so I have been stringing the cable through the back window and latching it shut. Most of our camping is at locations without cable, so this is the first time I have been able to diagnose it conveniently. Problem turned out to be corrosion on the input jack, which is a male - male connector. Was not too hard to remove the cover and the plate holding the jack. Replaced the jack and now can get cable the proper way without a coax strung inside the camper. Also, the "booster" switch on the wall above the microwave has to be turned on or else the picture Is fuzzy.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Re: Cable TV Port Problem

Post by mountaindent »

I had been searching for this very post issue. I will want to take a tv on my planned extended trip for the times I am camping at a place that has cable(which will probably be rare but, nice sometimes). Same experience that when I plugged into the what I thought was the Cable in port nothing worked inside and I did push the booster button . I just wanted to make sure this was the INPUT because most cable input is on the utility side(driver side) of most campers. A cable port on the opposite side (door side or passenger side)would be where usually an outside tv could be placed.

I will try what is recommended in this post and hope for good results. Recently, I saw on an Airstream trailer that the cable port on the door side or passenger side was for an outside tv but, the actual port for IN Cable input was with the utilities on the opposite side(driver's side). It sure looks like an IN Cable port below the fresh water input.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

If. You have time, remove the closet paneling next to the cable Jack with the booster switch. Airstream wired this incorrectly according to the directions for the booster instalation. They have roof antenna and cable going to a splitter, a no no per directions. I installed a second Jack just for roof. Also, roof cable not well sealed at roof entry and water ran down cable and corroded electonics. Replaced booster before I knew this was the problem. Corroded New booster. I was able to repair it with a solder gun and jumper wire.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

mountaindent wrote:I had been searching for this very post issue. I will want to take a tv on my planned extended trip for the times I am camping at a place that has cable(which will probably be rare but, nice sometimes). Same experience that when I plugged into the what I thought was the Cable in port nothing worked inside and I did push the booster button . I just wanted to make sure this was the INPUT because most cable input is on the utility side(driver side) of most campers. A cable port on the opposite side (door side or passenger side)would be where usually an outside tv could be placed.

I will try what is recommended in this post and hope for good results. Recently, I saw on an Airstream trailer that the cable port on the door side or passenger side was for an outside tv but, the actual port for IN Cable input was with the utilities on the opposite side(driver's side). It sure looks like an IN Cable port below the fresh water input.
It is the input on the passenger side of the camper - there's no real standard, so they probably put it there to avoid having to run the wire "across" the camper to the other side.

Our trailer has the cable input in the box with the electrical cord storage. It took me a while to notice it! (We rarely use the cable TV in our trailer.)

Another option to fix the issue raised by Planck is the possibility of a booster that handles cable TV as well. I'm pretty sure that's how the one in our trailer works. (Removing the splitter would also give me a place to mount some USB ports...)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

skater wrote:
mountaindent wrote:I had been searching for this very post issue. I will want to take a tv on my planned extended trip for the times I am camping at a place that has cable(which will probably be rare but, nice sometimes). Same experience that when I plugged into the what I thought was the Cable in port nothing worked inside and I did push the booster button . I just wanted to make sure this was the INPUT because most cable input is on the utility side(driver side) of most campers. A cable port on the opposite side (door side or passenger side)would be where usually an outside tv could be placed.

It is the input on the passenger side of the camper - there's no real standard, so they probably put it there to avoid having to run the wire "across" the camper to the other side.

Our trailer has the cable input in the box with the electrical cord storage. It took me a while to notice it! (We rarely use the cable TV in our trailer.)

Another option to fix the issue raised by Planck is the possibility of a booster that handles cable TV as well. I'm pretty sure that's how the one in our trailer works. (Removing the splitter would also give me a place to mount some USB ports...)
We could always use more USB ports. Ok, So if I were to have this looked at would I take it to a visual-audio entertainment type business since this is out of my expertise? or, just an RV center? Knowing most of you guys you can do it and handle it yourself! For the rest of us...
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Tough owning a 20 something year old RV and not be able to work on it. All it takes to access the cables is a screwdriver as I recall. The booster already has a cigarette lighter jack with 12 volts, so could just plug a USB adapter into that. I would take it to an RV shop, but expect to pay around $60/hr.

Phil