Easy GPS with Backup Camera Installation

In Camper Entertainment - televisions, stereo systems, DVD players, CB radios, computer, internet
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Easy GPS with Backup Camera Installation

Post by Mgittrich »

If your looking to upgrade your standalone GPS you might give the Garmin RV 760 LMT with wireless backup camera a try.

For the last 5 years I've wanted to add a backup camera to my 93 B190 but didn't want to pull a video cable thru the b190 to the dash and I didn't want to tear up the dash to install a new stereo system, gps and backup camera combination. So I've lived without the backup camera and just hoped that nothing was behind me since visibility is not very good.

Then last year Garmin added a GPS unit designed for RVers which included a wireless backup camera and I decided it was time to upgrade my 5 year old Garmin to an RV 760 LMT with wireless backup camera. I just completed the installation and it was really easy.

The GPS unit was simple to install just plug it into the cigar lighter and your ready to go. The included mount contains a wireless receiver which picks up the signal from the backup camera when it's installed. It's all automatic and no pairing of the backup camera to the GPS unit is required. Here's a pic of the RV 760 LMT :

The backup camera is mounted on the back of the B190. I choose to mount it right above the center brake light since it seemed to have the best field of view.

I ran the wire connecting it to the wireless transmitter thru the right rear door opening into the closet of my 93 B190. I hooked the power connection to pre-existing wiring under the closet floor. I used the circuit for the heater for the positive wire and a common ground which is also in the same compartment.

I ran the wireless transmitter wire up along the vent pipe running out of the compartment and placed the transmitter under the mirrored cabinet and next to the exit sign above the toilette

This placement provides a direct line of site to the dash and the GPS unit.

Once this is done the installation is complete and the backup camera is ready to go. Here's a look at the image

I will point out that this installation approach means the transmitter is always on whether it's in use or not. If you only want to have the transmitter and camera on while backing up you will need to wire it to the backup lights of the b190. I didn't want to do this because I didn't want to tear up walls in the RV to find the wires I needed. The backup camera uses about .2 amps per hour or about 3 amps per day. Since I have a 300 amp hour battery bank this was not an important consideration. During long-term storage you can pull the fuse for the camera in the closet or in my case turn the battery switch to off which disconnects all loads in the RV.

The cost of the gps and backup camera was $500 and it took me a couple of hours or less to install.

I hope this helps anyone looking to add a backup camera to their B190.

Mike
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Easy GPS with Backup Camera Installation

Post by Planck »

Mike
Very neat product. Thanks for explaining how you did it.
Phil
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Nice post.

Cliff
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

Mike,
The new Garmin GPS back up camera system is a great aftermarket solution for RVs. Really nice to all these options available to we retro fitters. I have really been enjoying using the backup camera that we added with our in new Clarion dash radio. I setup our camera so that the "rainbow" bars align with the tracks that our tires will take. However, that means my camera is mounted much lower at about even with the license plate on the back door of our B190.

Thanks for the good write up.
1993 Airstream B190