On The Road and Want Internet

In Camper Entertainment - televisions, stereo systems, DVD players, CB radios, computer, internet
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Eagle »

I know this is probably not the correct forum for this, but, there were so few subjects here I want to add this one.

I used to have Hughes Sattelite for my internet connection. It had gotten so bad in making a connection that I decided to try Verizon broadband.

Best decision I have made in a long time. The connection speed is fast, even out here in the woods. Of course you can take it with you when you travel. I have used it in the motorhome and other persons homes.

The cost is around $60 a month. I was paying Hughes $69 a month.

Wayne
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Nope, this is exactly the forum for it. :)

I was talking with someone about that at the last rally - he said exactly the same thing, and he uses the card as his home internet access too. It sounds like a great solution.

I don't want to go that route because I want full-time internet access at home (I have a server at home that I access while I'm on the road), and I don't want to pay $60/month for internet access for just the camper. Also, I use Linux, and I don't know whether the card would work under Linux (probably, but I haven't done the research).

If I'm at a campground that doesn't offer Wifi, I use my cellphone to connect to the net. I have the USB cable for it, and it works perfectly under Linux (better than under Windows, actually). The airtime simply counts against my monthly minutes. It's a Verizon phone, but someone told me that when I renew my contract that feature will disappear. My contract expired about two years ago, so I'm month-to-month now, and I guess I'll stay that way until the phone is completely dead. Then I'll have to think of an alternate solution.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Eagle »

As a rule, I don't keep mine on all the time, but I see no reason why I could not.

When purchasing the unit you are provided with a telephone number, so you are not sharing access with a bunch of other people.

I might also add that I have unlimited minutes, however, I expect if I should use too much bandwidth I would hear from Verizon.
MichaelC

Post by MichaelC »

Dear Enthusiasts,

Being in the "working world" as I am, I don't always need mobile broadband service. :idea: Earlier this year, I took a chance on the "Broadband2Go" service from Virgin Mobile (access is through the Sprint EVDO v2 network).

They did have three price points, all non-contract, either through secure account billing or through "Top-Up Cards", at 10 days/100MB for $10, 30 days/300MB for $20 or 30 days/3GB for $60. Virgin Mobile has changed their plans >> for the better <<. They now offer two prepaid plans: 10 days/100MB for $10, or (drum roll.....) :o 30 days/UNLIMITED ACCESS for $40. A few of the mass-retailers have chipped a few cents of the "sticker price" for the "Top-Up Cards", as well. My Novatel USB aircard device has worked well, with typical speeds at or near 1.1 Mb/second download, and 0.4 Mb/second upload. And, unlike the WiFi services at a major campground chain, Virgin Mobile does not block my access to the Ohio Nomads' Web server, so I can send updates to the site "live" from Rallies or other events.

As long as you pay for and use the service at least one 30-day period per year, and apply any "Top-Up Card" credits within five days of purchase, Virgin Mobile will not cancel your account or de-authorize your aircard.

I'd call this service a definite "take a look", even if you have another service plan in place.

"Happy Cybercamping!"
Michael Canode - "Baby Newell II"
F13059S / NZMCA #19250
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: On The Road and Want Internet

Post by skater »

MichaelC wrote:They did have three price points, all non-contract, either through secure account billing or through "Top-Up Cards", at 10 days/100MB for $10, 30 days/300MB for $20 or 30 days/3GB for $60. Virgin Mobile has changed their plans >> for the better <<. They now offer two prepaid plans: 10 days/100MB for $10, or (drum roll.....) :o 30 days/UNLIMITED ACCESS for $40. A few of the mass-retailers have chipped a few cents of the "sticker price" for the "Top-Up Cards", as well. My Novatel USB aircard device has worked well, with typical speeds at or near 1.1 Mb/second download, and 0.4 Mb/second upload. And, unlike the WiFi services at a major campground chain, Virgin Mobile does not block my access to the Ohio Nomads' Web server, so I can send updates to the site "live" from Rallies or other events.
Good info!

My wife and I got iPhones earlier this year, and we recently switched mine to the new limited plan with tethering, for a net increase of a couple dollars a month. With Bluetooth in my phone and laptop, I just connect to the iPhone and I'm surfing... don't even need to hook the phone to the laptop (though I can use USB too). It's limited to 2 GB/month, but honestly I doubt that will ever be an issue.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit