12 Volt TV/DVD and Coffee Maker

In Camper Entertainment - televisions, stereo systems, DVD players, CB radios, computer, internet
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

12 Volt TV/DVD and Coffee Maker

Post by weekender »

Hello all-- I'm a new owner of a 93-- Love it love it love it! Upon return from our first weekend outing, we sat down and developed a "wish list". 2 of the items that showed up on this list, are a TV/DVD combination, and a coffee maker. We like to get off the beaten path, and therefore frequently do not have shore power. I'm looking into 12 volt versions for the TV/DVD and coffee maker-- anyone have any thoughts?

Concerns:
How fast will these units eat up the Coach Battery?

Any recommended models? I have not been able to find a coffee maker with a thermos style pot (like the one I have at home) which would keep the coffee hot without power.

I'm considering mounting the TV with a bracket either on the left door of the cabinet to the left of the sink, or on the side of the same cabinet (depends on the available brackets)-- anyone done this?

I am not a fan of using the generator for long period of times-- too noisy. Of course I could use a 110V coffee maker and run the generator long enough to make coffee, but I would much rather not do this to watch a movie.

Thanks for all thoughts!

Steve
Last edited by weekender on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

For the 12 volt TV/DVD player, first I'll mention the automotive options in case you haven't considered them. These are the units that, for example, hang down from the roof in minivans. The downside to these is that the screens aren't that large. But it's worth considering.

For larger TV screens with DVD players, they're out there. A quick search on Google using the term "12 volt tv/dvd" turn up this site for example, which sells 12 volt TV/DVD players in 13", 15", and 19" versions. There are plenty of other results, too. (As that site mentions be sure to get one with a digital tuner. Shouldn't be a major problem at this point, but if you get something used or on closeout you might run into that.)

For the coffee maker, a similar search on Google turned up lots of results. Cabela's has a Cuisinart that runs $50-$100 depending on what size you want, for example.

In addition, you might consider getting one of those coffee makers that lets you use the stove to heat it (example here). Then it wouldn't use any 12 volt power. If I were boondocking, knowing coffee makers draw a lot of current, I'd seriously consider this option, if I drank coffee. ;)

As for the TV bracket, I've been looking at mine trying to figure out the same thing and I haven't come up with a good solution. I don't particularly want to put screws into the wood cabinets if I can avoid it, and I want the TV to be about the height of the counter (I have neck problems and am very sensitive to things like that), but there's no convenient place to do that.

Be sure that the TV you buy actually has the VESA mounts - not all of them have them, annoyingly enough.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Post by craigmar »

You might check out a couple of truck stops such as Pilot, T.A., Flying J to name a couple, as they all have 12 volt merchandise for sale to be used in the sleepers. I've seen coffee makers, toaster ovens etc. and also 12/120 televisions and know that at least as Flying J is concerned they have very reasonable prices and usually stuff on sale as a drawing card to get truckers in for the fuel. Craig/Mar
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

I ended up buying a Skyworth 15.6 LCD TV, SLC1569A. I found this a couple of places, about $300 with a DVD player. Some sites listed it with a low power rating of 38 watts, others 60 watts. Either way, the house battery handled it well. Picture was decent, but not great unless looking straight on. Sound was good as well. I bought it because it was one of the lowest power consumers I could find. I do not plan to mount it with a VESA mount, which makes it an ok TV because I can move it around for clear viewing. Not sure it would work so well if it were mounted with less ability to move it around. I was very happy with the power consumption, or I suppose I should stay lack of power consumption.