Antenna?

In Camper Entertainment - televisions, stereo systems, DVD players, CB radios, computer, internet
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Antenna?

Post by reday »

Anyone come up with anything other than that so called luggage rack antenna?

Don't want to install the crank up type... Have been thinking about this type:

http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=WD-SMS2000

Have used it on boats and have it at home for when the cable goes out.

It picks up equally poor in all directions, but not as bad at the "luggage rack".

Not sure where/how I might mount it. If I would leave it up or take it down and store it while riding.
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I was sort of thinking about something like that, too, but I don't watch a lot of TV so it's not worth it for me (I usually don't even take the TV tuner for my laptop with me camping).

But there's plenty of space up there if you aren't using the luggage rack - I'd probably mount it near the vent for the waste system that's in the right-rear corner of the roof (try to keep it away from the A/C, which I'm sure will block signals). I bet it'd work fine.

I think running the wire from the roof might be hardest part, if you do go with the permanent installation.

The other option would be to get a longish pole and mount it to the ladder when you want to use it. Depends on how much you plan to use it... I've considered doing that for a flag pole, but I decided that I want the flags at the front of the camper, not the back.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
reday
Weekend Camper

Post by reday »

I think running the wire from the roof might be hardest part, if you do go with the permanent installation.
I was considering using the existing coax...

I had thought about the ladder mount.

Another option is using the smaller marine version and one of the pedestal mounts like you can see at:

www.westmarine.com

I will probably only be using it for news... I figure if you watch long enough you will see some good news.
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
reday
Weekend Camper

Pleasantly surprised...

Post by reday »

I finally got the "entertainment system" installed enough to test things out. I am using a Mac Mini and 23" Cinema Display and iPod HiFi speakers - hey, I worked for Apple, what do you expect? I have the display mounted to the side of the cabinet over the side door and speakers sitting on the shelf the bed slides out on. I use an ElGato Eye TV Hybrid as a receiver. I knew this combination worked well, what I did not know was how would the existing "luggage rack" antenna do for reception.

I live in an adjoining county to Metro Nashville. I picked up 22 channels. All of the major broadcast networks and a bunch of other stuff... I was not expecting to pick much of anything. This matched or exceeded what I have done on my crank up directional antenna on the Land Yacht. It remains to be seen what it will do when you get further out in the boonies. Until I get out there and try, I was pleasantly surprised...

The picture is comparable to what you get on a TV connected to a hi-def cable source.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

That's pretty impressive. The one time I tried the luggage rack antenna it didn't work very well, but I might have been in a bad area for TV reception.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
reday
Weekend Camper

Post by reday »

Keep in mind, I am talking digital. Most stations broadcast at least two channels... I have some with up to 4. On analog, I only got one clear and two fuzzy...