Dometic Fridge Fault

Problems and questions with the website go here
swampy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Dometic Fridge Fault

Post by swampy »

Hi Guys ,been a long time but my vans that goddamn good ,I fitted the recommended Dometic replacement Fridge as my circuit had burst at great expense ,the new unit Had Only a On off button and Gas override being Electronically controlled .The fridge has been in a few years now and worked fantastically till last weekend visiting Friends and family for Xmas .
The LED was very Dim something it has never done I dropped off the front panel and a wiggle did nothing ,We hit the road before I got to involved , I tried the fridge again ato our fist stop and it came on bright and cooled great overnight , next day on the road but when I stopped again for the next night back to a dull Led and by Morning it wa clear the fridge was not cooling .Today back at base I started thinking it was going to be an expensive fix .
My set is 12 V to control only which my old fridge did not need so I did have to put a new 12 Volt supply to it and thought maybe that was it , So the fridge Power is 120V or Gas ,the 12 Volts just working the controls .
Using my meter I traced the 12 Volt from the intake upto the Top panel Ok but found it was dropping on the PC Board before it got to the on off switch . I unplugged the top pc and brought it indoors as the board is very small . 8O

12 V to Card but there it stopped , there was corrosion on the board which had lifted a track completely off , after cleaning I used some small wire to replace the track and tested before building everything back up.Nice bright LED now and cycles through all functions .

This could be a one off problem but if Dometic have not been cleaning the boards carefully there could be others out there .

Pictures in my Gallery but I am better with Motors than computers so Goodness knows if you guys can see them .
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Dometic Fridge Fault

Post by skater »

Link to the pictures - don't worry, we can see them.

I'm glad you fixed it! Unfortunately Dometic's reputation has taken a nosedive. I try to steer away from them as much as possible. They have fingers in every corner of the RV market - they even bought Fantastic Vent some years ago, and quality has suffered there, too, from everything I've heard.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit