Including photos in posts...

Problems and questions with the website go here
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Including photos in posts...

Post by craigmar »

Skater, did I see an article or something about how to post a photo, if so I can't find it and if not, how.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Yep, it's in the FAQ.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
lv2roam
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998

How do you add a photo to a forum post?

Post by lv2roam »

I have seen photos in posts - how is that done?
skater
Site Admin

Re: How do you add a photo to a forum post?

Post by skater »

lv2roam wrote:I have seen photos in posts - how is that done?
Basically, the photo is placed somewhere then linked using the [ img] [ /img] tags (without the spaces).

You can use http://Photobucket.com, which is what Alaskan did with the pictures in the chat thread. It's a free service that hosts photos for you.

Or, you can use the Gallery on this site, though it's a bit harder - you have to right click on the photo you want in the thread, click on "Show Image" (or similar - that's what it's called in Firefox), then edit the URL to remove the part that says "&g2_GALLERYSID=<long code here>", then use that URL between the [ img] [ /img] tags. Yeah, it's tedious - I'd like to have an option that you can click on that will give you the correct URL for the photo - shouldn't be that hard to do, but it's just not a top priority now.

Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Bob...pictures used in posts, at pretty much any message board, need to be "hosted" on the internet so they have an address on the net.

As RJ mentioned, Photobucket is the most popular, easiest to use and free. They have recently expanded their services to include a much larger picture count and hosting video clips also...

Simply sign up and upload pictures from yopu computer or your camera's memory card....in the upload process you want to select 640x480 as the picture size. Pictures at 640x 480 (size) are the correct size to not expand the width of a forum post..

You can also link to pictures any place on the internet by right clicking on the picture, select Properties, copy & paste the "Image Location" and that that to your post and paste it in.....install Image at the end, note that they are different

An example, here is a picture at Anchorage Daily News that I have linked to....

Charlie Vandergaw tends to a grizzly bear at his homestead in the Yentna Valley. The retired Anchorage teacher has food-conditioned dozens of black and grizzly bears over the years, but he cautions that no one should do what he has done. State officials add that the feeding program Vandergaw has used to make the bears cooperative is also illegal.

BTW....don't feed the bears, this is a dangerous practice anywhere
Last edited by Alaskan on Wed May 04, 2011 12:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Okay - It's now 2011. Has anything changed regarding adding pictures to a post, or do I still need to post them on a web site host? I use another forum very similar to this one and can add pictures directly from my computer files.

Thanks
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Its the same...nothing has changed

You will see many pictures I've included in forum posts here...all are hosted at Photobucket.com

In fact my Photobucket account associated with Airstream B190 rigs currently has 1379 pictures within it..
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Unfortunately you get what you pay for in forum software...and we paid nothing! :)

I'd like to upgrade the forum software to vBulletin (for other reasons), but the fact is that we'd still likely be using Gallery for the images, because vBulletin's built-in photo management is weak. I haven't done the upgrade yet (or in fact purchased vBulletin) because Gallery isn't yet integrated with the new version of vBulletin, so the situation would be even worse than it is now.

Gallery itself is actually pretty nice. It's just linking to the photos to use in posts is a headache. I do it for the "Picture of the month," and I've found you can do it by:
  • Right clicking on the picture and selecting "Copy image location"
  • Paste the URL in between the image tags
  • Remove the G2_SESSION_ID=whatever portion of the URL
...and it works perfectly.

Planck, what forum is that? I'd like to see what software they use to see if I missed something.

Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Thanks guys for the update. I will have to figure out how to post pictures on a web site, which I have never done. Probably not that bad once you get it figured out. The other forum is at www.porsche356registry.org and as I said in my previous post, it looks very similar to this one in that you can "view new posts". I appreciate even having a forum like this, particularly with such a small fan base. Thanks for all the effort to put it together and keep it going.

I have written an electrical problem and solution post, and I wanted to include some pictures with the first post. I will try to get my pictures on one of the web sites.

Phil
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Thanks. It looks like they're using phpBB for the forum software. That's actually the same forum software this site uses, although the php-Nuke people "wrapped" phpBB with the rest of the stuff (the front page, the articles, the FAQ, etc.). I'll have to look later to see how they handle images.

You do have the ImageShack link turned on, right? You should see it right below the window where you type your text when posting a reply. You can easily upload pictures to ImageShack using that, and they'll provide the BBcode links you can use to put the image in a post.

Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Photobucket was very easy to use and upload pictures to. But now I can't figure out how to download from photobucket. Picking browse only lets me pick from files on my computer. Picking ImageShack Toolbar does not seem to let me get to photobucket.

What is next step to download from Photobucket?
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

The next step is very simple also now that you have pictures in photobucket

Place your pointer over the picture you'd like to have included in a forum post and 4 lines of text will appear under the pictures.

You want line #4 which is IMG Code....copy that by just clicking on it, you see it will say copied.

Now come back to the forum, create your post and then simply depress your right-hand button on your mouse and click on paste....now that text from under your picture over at photobucket will magically appear

You can then click the Preview button below to see if you've accomplished it correctly....if so then just click the Submit button and your post will go into the forum and your picture will be in it

Line #4 is what you need to copy be simply clicking on it...

Cherstream
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Re: Including photos in posts...

Post by Cherstream »

I am trying to post to my gallery, not a Forum post.
Cheri Sicard<br>Author, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Easy Freezer Meals (2011 Alpha Books)<br>Owner 1992 Airstream B190<br>