Replacing Water Heater from 1989 Model

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
marko
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Post by marko »

Hi Team,

I'm having difficulty replacing the water heater in my Ford E350 Airstream conversion 1989 -

It currently has a 6 gallon water heater in of unknown make/model etc.

I bought a new Suburban 6 Gallon LP Pilot RV Camper Water Heater SW6P

Main issue is that the old heater has WINGS on and around it where screws hold it to the frame of the van.

The new heater is smaller than the hole by half an inch or so - and with no wings where to screw it to the van frame -

Also there is no way to attached the old door to the front so I bought a flashing and door specifically for this model heater which also doesn't seem to have holes in where it can be screwed to frame - whats more It doesn't seem to fit around the heater front entirely?

I'm really struggling here not sure what I can do!?

Anyone?
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Replacing Water Heater from 1989 Model

Post by Kentuckian »

Marko,
It might be easier for us to help if you could post some photos of the old installation and point out the problem areas.

Off the top of my head, it seems like you might try to use the old door since you know it covers the hole. As for the new water heater, it sounds like you have to form an adapter plate secured to the old hole that bridges the gap from the old to new size hole? Does the manufacturer make an installation kit that might help?

Tomorrow, I'll look at my water heater and see if I can better understand the problems that you are describing.
1993 Airstream B190
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The original is probably an Atwood. The Suburban is slightly different, so you may have to do some rigging.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

Thanks ,

I have found a sticker in the van telling me it was a MORFLO DSI 6 - but a google search for this reveals nothing

Attached is my old heater and now new one I bought -regretting it! :(

As you can see one comes with a lip around for screwing in and the other (like all 6 g models I've seen) doesn't have metal lip - I I supposed to pull up the small metal fold around the new heater to try to create a lip?

thanks
Attachments
IMG_9530.JPG
IMG_9530.JPG (720.29 KiB) Viewed 9709 times
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Any chance you can return the new water heater? Beyond the installation issues, it looks like your new heater operates with a pilot light, not electronic ignition. Given the already limited size of our propane tanks, I would think that a pilot light would not be ideal.
marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

i'm trying but seller is not keen
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Wow, yours really is different - I haven’t seen one like that. But the new one you bought would work, it’ll just require more fabrication.

Moreflo owns Atwood, or the other way around...they’re definitely tied together somehow.

I doubt you’re supposed to create a lip. Do a search for retrofit suburban for Atwood or something like that and see if there’s a kit or something. Surely you aren’t the first person to want to do this.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Marko,
Thank you for posting the photo. That made it very easy to understand your mounting issue.

I haven't looked around so I don't know if its possible to find a drop in replacement for your old water heater. But if you wind up keeping it, the following would be one way to deal with it.

Do you still have your original door? It seems like you need to use the old door since the old hole is going to be bigger than the size of the new water heater. Fortunately, the heater exhaust is in the same location for each heater.

As for how to install, I read through the suburban installation instructions. It seems they are thinking one would fabricate a box frame and then screw their water heater into that frame.

I am thinking that you will need to get a piece of sheet metal that would be welded or pop riveted into the existing hole of the body of the B190. Then that piece of sheet metal would have a hole where each side of the hole is folded in to allow you to pop rivet or screw the sides of the new water heater to the folded in flanges of the sheet metal that you would install to the body. You might even be able to saw off the mounting flange of the old water heater and then modify it slightly so that it lines up with the walls of your new water heater. Be sure to make a water tight and air tight seal. You don't want any of those propane fumes coming back inside the camper.
1993 Airstream B190