Overhead Cab Length

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
calimike
Weekend Camper

Overhead Cab Length

Post by calimike »

I've notice some B190s have a longer over the cab length than others. Some stick out over the hood while others stop just past the windshield.

Does one have a larger mattress?
Does the shorter get better fuel mileage?

thanks
mike
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Overhead Cab Length

Post by slapthecat »

I have a '90 with the long overhead bed. I think it was shortened to reduce wind resistance - which I'd imagine would help! Ooph!!

Having just recently seen the inside of a newer model, i think the bed lengths are the same, just the frame was redesigned on the newer models to work around the cabinets when it's extended - whereas mine extends flat up against the cabinets.
GJCamper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 5019

Post by GJCamper »

My 1996 has a short queen size mattress up top when it isn't extended. I don't have the extra section of mattress to make it bigger so I don't extend it. I think it goes up to king size when extended.
WBCCI 5019
1996 Airstream B190 purchased August 2017
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

I own a 93, with the larger overhang, and have never personally been inside a later model, so just my opinion looking at pictures of the later models. On my 93 the dimensions work out to close to a king size width and a queen size lenght. With the later models and the shorter overhangs, the cabinets inside are slightly smaller in height allowing the extended section of the bed to slide under. I believe this still gives the bed a queen size length, however the extended sections is between the upper cabinets making it much narrower than in my 93. If you are a person who sleeps with your head at the front of the van, this narrower section would be at your feet. Personally there are many features I would love to cherry pick from each year, but really like the larger upper bed -- that is one I would keep.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

One other note: with the larger overhang, it is rare that I feel the need for sunglasses when driving...