cut off in gas line to generaator

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Hubie
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1999

cut off in gas line to generaator

Post by Hubie »

I was reading in another rv forum that people had installed a cut off in the gasoline line to the generator. This enables one to cut off the gas supply to the generator and burn all the fuel in the generator to prevent varnish/gum from forming in the carburetor during storage. On my 98 airstream, with the stock 2.8 onan microlite setup, I do not think this is practical because of the effort to access the gas line when you need to burn all the fuel in the generator for storage. Has anyone else ever installed a cut off in the gas line to the generator in our 190s?
Thanks,
Hubert
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: cut off in gas line to generaator

Post by skater »

I don't know of anyone that has. You would have to crawl underneath to use it each time. I wonder if anyone makes some sort of remote valve that would work. I kind of like the idea... these carbs seem ultra-sensitive.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by slapthecat »

I did one on the gas line inside the gen compartment. Shut that off, the gen runs for another 2-3 mins.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LNcpCTaFcVcsszZT8
Hubie
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Hubie »

slapthecat,
That is a great setup. I do not have the room you have between the side of the generator compartment and the generator. So I was thinking about putting a cut off valve (behind the black access door to the generator) in the short gas line to the carburetor. It will be tight but I think it will work.