shields up!

Make it comfortable inside
okaynagan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

shields up!

Post by okaynagan »

just making the 92' a bit more comfortable for the trips ahead this summer. Got to reflectix at the big box store, pretty pricey stuff for what is essentially silver colored bubblewrap; anyhow, got all windows cut out and in place. now, We can even spend the night at Walmart in beautiful downtown Las Cruces without the bright lights waking us.
reflectix in
reflectix in
shield up.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 9735 times
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: shields up!

Post by skater »

Good idea. I have a roll of it from another project, so maybe I should do this, too.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Post by micabarry »

Are you spending any time in Cruces? I lived there and could pass along some sites. BTW I use the same stuff, even cut one out for the Fantastic fan. I've spent some cold nights in the high desert and I think it really works.
okaynagan
Weekend Camper

Post by okaynagan »

Ahhhhhhhhhh yes, Cruces, four years of my prime was spent at state in the 70s. I get back through there once in a blue moon. I am always amazed at how the town has grown, the campus too for that matter. Just thought someday when I'm "rolling in the chips" I'd get a place just out of town, in Mesilla or Organ Mountains; of Course, now all those places the city comes right up to. hummmmmmmmm maybe a RV base camp someday just off the I-10 or Hatch.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

Off the wall comment but... should anyone want to duplicate this for less money and perhaps a little bit more work, I may be able to help. I'm a "Blue Apron" customer, and every week, the food delivery comes in insulated bubble wrap bags, foil lined on the outside. The size of the bags wold easily cover the rear and side barn door windows, Fantastic Fan, and the smaller over the kitchen window. Opened up, they would likely fit the front side windows, with some cutting and duct tape, the front and long top windows. Would take a few weeks, but they would be free, just pay for the shipping.
Attachments
Roughly 25"x16"
Roughly 25"x16"
20190514_094142.jpg (4.97 MiB) Viewed 9691 times
Roughly 25"x16"
Roughly 25"x16"
20190514_094138.jpg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 9691 times
Roughly 25"x16"
Roughly 25"x16"
20190514_094104.jpg (4.59 MiB) Viewed 9691 times
Last edited by weekender on Wed May 15, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
okaynagan
Weekend Camper

Post by okaynagan »

weekender wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:48 am
Off the wall comment but... should anyone want to duplicate this for less money and perhaps a little bit more work, I may be able to help. I'm a "Blue Apron" customer, and every week, the food delivery comes in insulated bubble wrap bags, foil lined on the outside. The size of the bags wold easily cover the rear and side bard door windows, Fantastic Fan, and the smaller over the kitchen window. Opened up, they would likely fit the front side windows, with some cutting and duct tape, the front and long top windows. Would take a few weeks, but they would be free, just pay for the shipping.
now that's using brain cells instead of brawn cells. those bags could be sewn together, sewn down to a thermal blanket and/or snapped on overlap. it seems I've read on one of the forums about spray painting the back of reflectix black make the windows a little more stealthy, that might just might work with these bags.
IMG_20190514_135448.jpg
IMG_20190514_135448.jpg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 9681 times
how long do you think these bags will hold up? Or are they formulated to decompose over the years. what is the plastic number on them?
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Millennial Falcon »

okaynagan wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:21 pm
just making the 92' a bit more comfortable for the trips ahead this summer. Got to reflectix at the big box store, pretty pricey stuff for what is essentially silver colored bubblewrap; anyhow, got all windows cut out and in place. now, We can even spend the night at Walmart in beautiful downtown Las Cruces without the bright lights waking us.
shield up.jpg
How much Reflectix did you need? I've been looking to do this, the sun is KILLING me in Florida... but I'm just damn lazy. What size roll should I buy?

Also, I so desperately wish someone would just make these and sell them. I'd totally pay to not have to be out in the heat sizing/cutting/sewing. :lol: :lol: :::hint hint anyone!:::

I've been eyeballing the Single-Reflective side material... figured face the reflective side out, and the white side in looks cleaner and prettier...
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

There does not seem to be any kind of stamp on the "Blue Apron" bags to determine what kind of plastic they are. They are pretty thick, would seem to me that they would last, and are of the same thickness as what is sold at Home Depot or Lowes. I have 3 of them at the moment, happy to send them
okaynagan
Weekend Camper

Post by okaynagan »

Millennial Falcon wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:52 pm

How much Reflectix did you need? I've been looking to do this, the sun is KILLING me in Florida... but I'm just damn lazy. What size roll should I buy?

if I recall correctly Home Depot only had a 24 inch roll of reflectix and the 48 inch roll. we used the 48 inch; we used the whole roll. there was none to spare when finished.
we used the wider width because of the front windshield is quite deep. the front window was cut in two sections for ease of installation, we overlapped around the rear view mirror. it's largely a matter of holding it up to the window, tracing it out with the marking pen then cutting it out. If I ever get to Florida I'd help you cut that out, no charge; well, maybe a spot of tea. But as it stands the postage would be economically unfeasible from here in Arizona and it's really no fun to do it by yourself anyhow.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-4 ... /100052556
weekender wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:59 pm
There does not seem to be any kind of stamp on the "Blue Apron" bags to determine what kind of plastic they are. They are pretty thick, would seem to me that they would last, and are of the same thickness as what is sold at Home Depot or Lowes. I have 3 of them at the moment, happy to send them
a lot of the consumer packaging these days is made to be "biodegradable". The plastic really never breaks down but disintegrates with ultraviolet light/sunlight. I'd really hate to put all the work into it to have it fall apart in a year or two. but you might want to try it anyway. I'm all for recycling and thought this was a capital idea! I guess you'd have to write the blue apron people to find out what it is. In the meantime you don't need to cluttering up your life these. I have finish installation both my sister's and my B190s; however, I really do appreciate the offer. Perhaps somebody else here can use/recycle/repurpose them.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

I don't believe these are biodegradable -- I can't say what long term exposure to the sun will do, but I've looked at the rolled stuff at the big box stores -- looks the same to me.