New Onan 2800i Inverter Model Coming Soon!!!

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

New Onan 2800i Inverter Model Coming Soon!!!

Post by Millennial Falcon »

Looks like they're making a new version of the Onan 2800, it will be an inverter model and quiet(er) at only 63db!

Posting here, as the below flier was leaked to someone on the ClassBforums, and more details/pricing are expected this summer... figured I'd spread the scuttlebutt a little, incase anybody is on the fence and about to buy a new one! Might be worth waiting for more info this summer of 2020?

The advertised inverter model below has an EFI & an average gas useage of 0.21 Gal/Hr! Compared to the current Onan spec of 0.4 Gal/Hr!

With an EFI there's no carburator to get clogged! It will have a Permanent magnet alternator. Huge deal... no more slip rings to get tarnished and no more excitation module to burn out!

Only thing I'm wary of, is... looking at the specs below, is this new inverter model too tall to fit in the old B190 space?

BuddyR
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Re: New Onan 2800i Inverter Model Coming Soon!!!

Post by BuddyR »

I wonder how much of a pain it is to change one out...
Millennial Falcon
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: New Onan 2800i Inverter Model Coming Soon!!!

Post by Millennial Falcon »

BuddyR wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:46 pm
I wonder how much of a pain it is to change one out...
I would only do that if you had a failed original Onan anyway... I'm sure a new gennie would be way more than any repair job probably. However people have done generator replacements [for instance, AdamU installed a newer version of the Onan and mocked up these diagrams to cut the new holes... and Sparky has replaced his similarly].

This new model looks a little taller though... but maybe that could be remedied by removing the housing... or... cutting the top off the metal box under the couch and dropping it in from inside. Which, is how I would do it if I were going to. Then just reseat the top of the box and seal it.

Replacements are possible!! And if you still have your original generator and really want to upgrade... the old Onan2800's have a good resale value on here!