Why disconnect the battery?

Towing with the B190
DGBMLB

Why disconnect the battery?

Post by DGBMLB »

I am in the process of setting up my new (2008) Jeep Liberty for towing. The owners manual says to disconnect the battery before towing. Does anyone know why? If it is to simply reduce battery drain, can I connect the Jeep battery to the hot wire on the B van trailer plug?
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Post by reday »

I tow my 04 Liberty behind the 03 MH. I have not run across anything that mentions disconnecting the battery while towing. Is this instruction in the context of RV towing? The way mine is set up the brake lights (additional lights added inside taillights) are powered from the MH with no drain on the Liberty battery.

Although I could, I have no plans for towing the jeep with the 190. I don't think I would try it without a braking system and unless I sell the MH I am leaving the brake compressor on the MH until that decision is made...

If I need to head out anywhere I would just go in the 190. Thinking about towing a trailer for all the gear that I am used to having on the MH and just leaving that behind at the campsite.

We are just both looking at this from different perspectives and starting points...

But, back to your question, I see no reason to disconnect.
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Perhaps it's to avoid problems in case the wiring isn't done correctly. That's the only thing I can think of... I doubt most people do it, though.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
DGBMLB

Post by DGBMLB »

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Jeep wants you to disconnect the battery on the '08's to inactivate the odometer.