Can this vent be closed?

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
liferiders
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Can this vent be closed?

Post by liferiders »

Please advise. It seems that cold air is escaping through this vent while the A/C is running. Can this be closed?
Attachments
IMG_9739.jpg
IMG_9739.jpg (107.54 KiB) Viewed 8767 times
"A Good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving"
“Don’t measure a man’s wealth by the size of his bank account, but instead look at the distance he travelled”
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Can this vent be closed?

Post by weekender »

There should be a plastic flap with small tabs that lock it down when not in use. If it was not locked down and the van was taken on the highway, it could easily have been lost on the highway,
URStruly
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by URStruly »

Yes. It has a small moveable piece that swivels to lock this vent closed. But be sure to unlock it before cooking.URStruly.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

PS, if the flap is not there, these vents are very common and should be available at your local RV place, or certainly online. They are not terrible difficult to replace, but you may not have to replace the entire vent, just remove the flap from the new vent, and install it on the vent currently in place on your van
silvertrooper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by silvertrooper »

YMMV on simple parts replacement. My repair shop couldn’t even find the correct outside vent cover, much less the flap assembly. I took off the kitchen vent fan and made foil tape hinges so the flap can move with the positive pressure of the fan when it’s on. When it is off, the flap rests on an existing foam seal. I don’t know if mine (1996) ever had a lock for when the vehicle is in motion.

I have found good parts at RVupgrades.com, as well as vintagetrailersupply.com, for what it’s worth.