My Couch Solution

Make it comfortable inside
Post Reply
Saprophyte
Weekend Camper
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:45 pm
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

My Couch Solution

Post by Saprophyte » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:37 am

I was never satisfied with the under-couch storage in the B190, so I changed it entirely. Now it folds up out of the way so I can reach all my cargo from above rather than through the drawer. The drawer on mine had fallen apart before I bought it anyway, so I removed it. There's just a big empty compartment under the couch.

I started by taking the couch out entirely.
ImageImage

I added strap hinges to the back of the base of the couch's steel frame. The other half of the hinge attaches to 4"x4" blocks. These raise the seat-height of the couch by 4", but it gives the clearance needed to allow the frame to lift up.

Here's a video showing how it works:
https://youtu.be/4DcZr6YOZKQ

This lets me use the entire space under the couch.
Image
I keep a small stick under there which I use to prop up the couch when I need it out of the way, as you can see there. This last picture was taken some time later, after my new floor. See more on that here:http://b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2310

User avatar
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:12 pm
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0
Location: Los Osos, CA

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by lido14co » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:53 am

Nice work


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VT964x4
Weekend Camper
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:09 pm
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0
Location: Vermont

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by VT964x4 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks for the details, really great work!

Adkins family
Weekend Camper
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:28 pm
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0
Location: Crystal Coast NC

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by Adkins family » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:44 pm

Brilliant!

Adkins family
Weekend Camper
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:28 pm
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0
Location: Crystal Coast NC

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by Adkins family » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Floor looks good as well as the work with the couch.

Cgzito
Weekend Camper
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:51 pm
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by Cgzito » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:54 pm

Awesome idea. How can I make this work?

User avatar
okaynagan
Weekend Camper
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:56 pm
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0
Location: Arizona

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by okaynagan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 pm

must add this to our project list. What a great idea!
Saprophyte wrote:I was never satisfied with the under-couch storage in the B190, so I changed it entirely. Now it folds up out of the way so I can reach all my cargo from above rather than through the drawer. The drawer on mine had fallen apart before I bought it anyway, so I removed it. There's just a big empty compartment under the couch.

I started by taking the couch out entirely.
ImageImage

I added strap hinges to the back of the base of the couch's steel frame. The other half of the hinge attaches to 4"x4" blocks. These raise the seat-height of the couch by 4", but it gives the clearance needed to allow the frame to lift up.

Here's a video showing how it works:
https://youtu.be/4DcZr6YOZKQ

This lets me use the entire space under the couch.
Image
I keep a small stick under there which I use to prop up the couch when I need it out of the way, as you can see there. This last picture was taken some time later, after my new floor. See more on that here:http://b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2310

mtodd54
Weekend Camper
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:04 pm
B190 Year: 1995

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by mtodd54 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:20 am

Great idea - thanks for the details on how to do it! So the back bolts connect to the frame and 4x4 blocks (attached to the wood box). Do the original front bolts from the frame to box attach to anything? (or do you leave those off)

User avatar
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:13 pm
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by Sub2RainEN » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:06 pm

I’m just seeing this now. What a great mod! My mechanic wants to saw a whole and make a door for extra batteries under the couch. This would be so much more functional and make it useful storage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner

User avatar
Millennial Falcon
Weekend Camper
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:14 pm
B190 Year: 1994

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by Millennial Falcon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 am

Sub2RainEN wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:06 pm
I’m just seeing this now. What a great mod! My mechanic wants to saw a whole and make a door for extra batteries under the couch. This would be so much more functional and make it useful storage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
why would you need to "saw a hole"? I have my entire battery bank, the solar charge controller, and all the energy management equipment and circuit breakers under my couch... no hole required.

User avatar
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:13 pm
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by Sub2RainEN » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Good question. He thought it would be easier for maintenance and replacement.

I’m going to tell him no. He also wants to disassemble the bed to put the batteries in. It seems like a lot of extra work. I would think he could prop up the bed with some of the wood planks I have and/or run extra wire to do all the connections in front of the couch, then put them inside if he needs more space to assemble.

At any rate, I don’t want to mess with the structural integrity of the box/couch.

The only hole he needs to make is for wires to go from the storage under where the oven would go to under the couch. The inverter and two batteries are already installed there. I wouldn’t mind him moving the other two batteries, though, as that’s more useful storage than under the couch.

Millennial Falcon wrote:
why would you need to "saw a hole"? I have my entire battery bank, the solar charge controller, and all the energy management equipment and circuit breakers under my couch... no hole required.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner

User avatar
Millennial Falcon
Weekend Camper
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:14 pm
B190 Year: 1994

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by Millennial Falcon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:58 pm

Yeah, do not let him cut any holes in the couch.

The frame of the couch is easy enough to remove if he needs room, or... mine was just installed by sliding the batteries in through the top or components in with the drawer pulled out. I have two BattleBorn batteries positioned in the forward side of the couch, inboard. between the inside wall and the metal box where a generator would go.

Also, a helpful tip I saw on here... I removed the slide out drawer on my 1994, removed the face from it... and screwed on two hinges at the bottom. now it is a flip-down access panel instead of a pull out drawer. Like this: Image

See my parts list at: https://www.b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... 518#p12518

User avatar
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:13 pm
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: My Couch Solution

Post by Sub2RainEN » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:03 pm

Mine doesn’t have the drawer or I’d either have him install batteries in the drawer or turn it into a door. That would be great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner

Post Reply