Buying it back...

Restoring a B190? Start a thread here so we can follow your progress!
tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Re: Buying it back...

Post by tdashmike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:26 pm

skater wrote:
tdashmike wrote:At least the temps are good. Mine was 38F last night on AC.
Well, they're good until the sun hits the side of the camper...that's when things got ugly.
Oh I see. Maybe we could negotiate a group buy of 3 units!

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: Buying it back...

Post by skater » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:18 pm

tdashmike wrote:
skater wrote:
tdashmike wrote:At least the temps are good. Mine was 38F last night on AC.
Well, they're good until the sun hits the side of the camper...that's when things got ugly.
Oh I see. Maybe we could negotiate a group buy of 3 units!
Good idea!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Re: Buying it back...

Post by tdashmike » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:09 pm

I was going to put in a 12V to 15V converter at the fridge and I was measuring around and noticed that the voltage behind the fridge did not change when the engine was on and someone today posted about having the same problem so I will try to fix that. I'm mentioning this because if the alternator is actually connected to the house battery, then the voltage should be much higher, 14V or above so the fridge should operate much better. For instance, Wattage = V^2/R so 12^2/1.15=125W but if the voltage is 14 then 14^2/1.15= 170W which is actually more than the AC wattage at 120^2/92= 157W.

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: Buying it back...

Post by skater » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:34 pm

tdashmike wrote:I was going to put in a 12V to 15V converter at the fridge and I was measuring around and noticed that the voltage behind the fridge did not change when the engine was on and someone today posted about having the same problem so I will try to fix that. I'm mentioning this because if the alternator is actually connected to the house battery, then the voltage should be much higher, 14V or above so the fridge should operate much better. For instance, Wattage = V^2/R so 12^2/1.15=125W but if the voltage is 14 then 14^2/1.15= 170W which is actually more than the AC wattage at 120^2/92= 157W.
It depends on how many amps it's drawing, though, right? Where did you get the 1.15 value for R?

I've always used W= V*A = 12 volts * 10 amps (if memory serves) = 120 watts. 120 volts * 3 amps = 360 watts.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Re: Buying it back...

Post by tdashmike » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:08 pm

skater wrote:
tdashmike wrote:I was going to put in a 12V to 15V converter at the fridge and I was measuring around and noticed that the voltage behind the fridge did not change when the engine was on and someone today posted about having the same problem so I will try to fix that. I'm mentioning this because if the alternator is actually connected to the house battery, then the voltage should be much higher, 14V or above so the fridge should operate much better. For instance, Wattage = V^2/R so 12^2/1.15=125W but if the voltage is 14 then 14^2/1.15= 170W which is actually more than the AC wattage at 120^2/92= 157W.
It depends on how many amps it's drawing, though, right? Where did you get the 1.15 value for R?

I've always used W= V*A = 12 volts * 10 amps (if memory serves) = 120 watts. 120 volts * 3 amps = 360 watts.
So V=I(A) x R or A=V/R if you move it around. if you plug that into your equation W = V*A, W=V*(V/R), that make it W=V*V/R or W=V^2/R. The resistance values I got from the manual linked below. The DC element's resistance should be 1.15 Ohms and the AC's is 92 Ohms. In this instance the current is dictated by the resistance.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... UWEBgfvtuQ

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: Buying it back...

Post by skater » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:39 pm

tdashmike wrote:
skater wrote:
tdashmike wrote:I was going to put in a 12V to 15V converter at the fridge and I was measuring around and noticed that the voltage behind the fridge did not change when the engine was on and someone today posted about having the same problem so I will try to fix that. I'm mentioning this because if the alternator is actually connected to the house battery, then the voltage should be much higher, 14V or above so the fridge should operate much better. For instance, Wattage = V^2/R so 12^2/1.15=125W but if the voltage is 14 then 14^2/1.15= 170W which is actually more than the AC wattage at 120^2/92= 157W.
It depends on how many amps it's drawing, though, right? Where did you get the 1.15 value for R?

I've always used W= V*A = 12 volts * 10 amps (if memory serves) = 120 watts. 120 volts * 3 amps = 360 watts.
So V=I(A) x R or A=V/R if you move it around. if you plug that into your equation W = V*A, W=V*(V/R), that make it W=V*V/R or W=V^2/R. The resistance values I got from the manual linked below. The DC element's resistance should be 1.15 Ohms and the AC's is 92 Ohms. In this instance the current is dictated by the resistance.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... UWEBgfvtuQ
Interesting. Makes me wonder if part of the problem with the 12 volt mode is that the wiring is too small.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Re: Buying it back...

Post by tdashmike » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:33 pm

skater wrote:
Interesting. Makes me wonder if part of the problem with the 12 volt mode is that the wiring is too small.
Well, I'll check the voltage back there when I have it fixed and report back.

EDIT:
What voltage are you getting at the fridge when the engine is revved? Thanks.

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: Buying it back...

Post by skater » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:59 pm

tdashmike wrote:
skater wrote:
Interesting. Makes me wonder if part of the problem with the 12 volt mode is that the wiring is too small.
Well, I'll check the voltage back there when I have it fixed and report back.

EDIT:
What voltage are you getting at the fridge when the engine is revved? Thanks.
It could be a while until I get this answer. I’m not going to have much time to work on it for a few weeks.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: Buying it back...

Post by skater » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 pm

I haven't had the chance to touch the van since July!

But a passing comment on reddit caused someone to suggest that the coil might be bad, which is causing it to stall once it warms up. I bought a new coil today and hope to get it installed Friday...and hopefully it'll stay running!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: Buying it back...

Post by skater » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:08 pm

New coil installed, and it idled for 51 minutes yesterday without stalling...so I'm hoping that problem is fixed.

New problem: Our (recently adopted) dog was so comfortable in the driver's seat, it took 10 minutes of coaxing to get him to leave the camper!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

User avatar
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:35 pm
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Re: Buying it back...

Post by 190-b-651 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:17 pm

skater wrote:New coil installed, and it idled for 51 minutes yesterday without stalling...so I'm hoping that problem is fixed.

New problem: Our (recently adopted) dog was so comfortable in the driver's seat, it took 10 minutes of coaxing to get him to leave the camper!
Skater ive had the same problem with a old 65 Cadillac when she got warm the coil would fail took a while to figure out. Hopefully your in business now. Sounds like you have a new b190 mascot lol..

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk


User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: Buying it back...

Post by skater » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:25 pm

I haven't updated this lately, mostly because I haven't done much to it lately, but I got a few minutes to play over the weekend. I installed the fridge fans and upper vent, so the camper can now be driven again! I need to take it out for some drive time.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

Post Reply