restoring luster to fiberglass top

Maintenance of the body of the camper

restoring luster to fiberglass top

Postby baggydew » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:54 pm

For a simple way to restore the color and luster of your oxidized fiberglass top, try this.....

Wipe petroleum jelly on the surface using the scrubby side if a household sponge. You will see the oxidation (white) disappear as you sponge on the jelly. Rub off and buff the excess with a towel. You will end up with a smooth surface, free of oxidized powder residue. The result has no swirls and has a uniform glossy finish. To bring out and preserve the shine, wax the surface when done. I used Nu-Finish, the stuff in the orange bottle. Went on easy, lasts for a year. I'm amazed with the result.
This may not as good (shiny) as a professional wet sanding of the gel coat followed by waxing but I'm thrilled with the ease and smooth result I did the top in a couple of hours. No elbow grease. All you'll need is a container of petroleum jelly from Wal-mart for under 2 bucks and some wax to keep it looking good. Easy fix.
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Re: restoring luster to fiberglass top

Postby lido14co » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:36 pm

baggydew wrote:For a simple way to restore the color and luster of your oxidized fiberglass top, try this.....

Wipe petroleum jelly on the surface using the scrubby side if a household sponge. You will see the oxidation (white) disappear as you sponge on the jelly. Rub off and buff the excess with a towel. You will end up with a smooth surface, free of oxidized powder residue. The result has no swirls and has a uniform glossy finish. To bring out and preserve the shine, wax the surface when done. I used Nu-Finish, the stuff in the orange bottle. Went on easy, lasts for a year. I'm amazed with the result.
This may not as good (shiny) as a professional wet sanding of the gel coat followed by waxing but I'm thrilled with the ease and smooth result I did the top in a couple of hours. No elbow grease. All you'll need is a container of petroleum jelly from Wal-mart for under 2 bucks and some wax to keep it looking good. Easy fix.
going to try this. Have been using the nu-finish which protects well but I’m missing the shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Postby baggydew » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:22 pm

I think you'll be pleased with the result. I've tried everything on the market to get a uniform smooth finish, from Color Back to Mop and Glo and nothing I've tried is as easy as this. It should last with the wax. Smooth as a baby's butt. At least it's protected and looks good. As a side benefit, the jelly gets down in those spider cracks and repels water. Good luck. Let us know what you think.
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Postby usachris » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:03 am

Hey, how about posting a few “before and after” pics? Thanks!
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
WBCCI #01422 Region 12, Unit 19
usachris
Seasoned Traveler

Postby baggydew » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Too late.. never took any pictures before I started.
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Postby mountaindent » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:41 pm

This is what I have been looking for to restore the top. There goes my free day tomorrow!
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Postby 8Track » Thu May 03, 2018 1:01 pm

After spending 3 hours washing and waxing my rig top to bottom, I realized that I didn't hate myself enough just yet and decided to try this petroleum jelly trick. Wow! what a difference! Before, my top had a strong contrast to the body and didn't realize that it was just heavily oxidized..now it's pulled back most of what I feel is the original color and looks great! I can't stop looking at it. Thanks for the tip Baggydew!

Here's a trick I learned to restore the color to the faded & oxidized running boards- mix two parts paint thinner & one part boiled linseed oil- Apply it with a cloth and let it sit for about 10 minutes then just wipe off. Keep applying it til you get the color back and it will last a long time with no oil buildup (I was able to get my color back with just one pass). Prior to applying this, my running boards looked like a faded blue, but realized they are more of a deep grey color after using this method. They really look great now!
8Track

Postby baggydew » Thu May 03, 2018 1:29 pm

I'm going to try your trick on the running boards. Appreciate your feedback.
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Return to Exterior