Refer. Replace or Fix?

Refrigerator, stove, furnace, water pump, air conditioner, microwave, water heater, fans, lighting
User avatar
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0
Location: I get my mail in Carson City, NV

Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by Mark » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:14 am

The reefer in my 1990 7B 190 seems like it’s cooling less and less. Should I play around with it, replace this and that, clean things, or should I just cut to the chase buy a new one?
I see them for $600 and I can have it shipped to a commercial address.

Is it an easy fix? Slide one out and slide the other in?
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 1967
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by skater » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:29 pm

Mark wrote:The reefer in my 1990 7B 190 seems like it’s cooling less and less. Should I play around with it, replace this and that, clean things, or should I just cut to the chase buy a new one?
I see them for $600 and I can have it shipped to a commercial address.

Is it an easy fix? Slide one out and slide the other in?
I'm trying to resurrect mine using some fans and a piece of aluminum to promote the proper airflow. Personally, given the cost, I'd do some trouble shooting - is it working the same on propane and electricity, or does it work better one one or the other? Also, are you leveling the camper well?

$600 for one? Where? I haven't seen them for less than $900 or $1000!

Replacement is essentially what you describe - remove a few screws, disconnect the gas and electric, and slide it out. It's a tight fit so it'll take some wiggling.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

User avatar
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0
Location: I get my mail in Carson City, NV

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by Mark » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:35 pm

http://www.camperpartsworld.com/Dometic ... rator.html

I level my rig whenever I stop for the night. The rig might sit unlevel for the day while I’m out.

I use it exclusively on propane.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 1967
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by skater » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks. Try it on electricity and see how it works. I’d also look at cleaning the burner and making sure your propane regulator is working correctly.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by tdashmike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:06 am

Mark wrote:http://www.camperpartsworld.com/Dometic ... rator.html

I level my rig whenever I stop for the night. The rig might sit unlevel for the day while I’m out.

I use it exclusively on propane.
Wow, that is much cheaper. Makes my want to get one right now. Try it on elec and let us know if the temp is acceptable. You could replace the cooling system for $200~300 but I would just get a new fridge at that point depending on the condition of the fridge overall.

User avatar
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0
Location: I get my mail in Carson City, NV

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:01 am

I’ve seen the cooling systems for $300 after returning the core but at that point I would still have 20 year old insulation and controls.
I tried it on 12v a while ago, it wasn’t a real thorough test, I didn’t leave it there for days, but for the day I did try it, it didn’t keep the fridge cold at all.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!

tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by tdashmike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:32 am

Mark wrote:I’ve seen the cooling systems for $300 after returning the core but at that point I would still have 20 year old insulation and controls.
I tried it on 12v a while ago, it wasn’t a real thorough test, I didn’t leave it there for days, but for the day I did try it, it didn’t keep the fridge cold at all.
Apparently the 12V does not work very well. The 120V would be a good test to see if the cooling system itself is operating OK. If the temps are within range on 120V, then there is something wrong with the propane side, which could just need cleaning. The freezer should be below 32F and the fridge should be below 40F.

User avatar
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0
Location: I get my mail in Carson City, NV

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:42 am

Ah! Good tip. Thanks for that. I can plug it in all day at work and see how that goes.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!

User avatar
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0
Location: I get my mail in Carson City, NV

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Well damn. The place that has them for $590 is completely unavailable via phone and they don’t get good reviews. This is too big of a purchase to risk.

The next best price is $685 but then shipping is $150.

So far, I’ve cleaned out the burner, it didn’t look bad although I have no reference.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!

tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by tdashmike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Mark wrote:Well damn. The place that has them for $590 is completely unavailable via phone and they don’t get good reviews. This is too big of a purchase to risk.

The next best price is $685 but then shipping is $150.

So far, I’ve cleaned out the burner, it didn’t look bad although I have no reference.
Take out the orifice also, it's before the burner. Don't stick anything into the pinhole by the way, you might end up with a fridge that works too well. :)

User avatar
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0
Location: I get my mail in Carson City, NV

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:48 pm

Before the burner?
I have a photo and tried to post it but it was giant. I’m on my phone with no way to make it smaller.

The burner was bigger than a pencil. The flame came out of slots on the tube, maybe a half inch long. The burner was sideways to the refer and easily accessible.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!

tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by tdashmike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Mark wrote:Before the burner?
I have a photo and tried to post it but it was giant. I’m on my phone with no way to make it smaller.

The burner was bigger than a pencil. The flame came out of slots on the tube, maybe a half inch long. The burner was sideways to the refer and easily accessible.
The orifice is before the burner, there is a gap between the orifice and burner. You can take it off with a hex wrench. Go to the 3:30 mark on the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cmE7iN3D9I

User avatar
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0
Location: I get my mail in Carson City, NV

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Okay, thanks.

I’m looking at the manual now and trying to piece together what I need to look at.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!

User avatar
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0
Location: I get my mail in Carson City, NV

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Okay, did that. It didn’t look too dirty.

Thanks for all your help tdashmike!
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!

tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 am
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Re: Refer. Replace or Fix?

Post by tdashmike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Mark wrote:Okay, did that. It didn’t look too dirty.

Thanks for all your help tdashmike!
If it's not working on elec then you might have an issue. The only other thing to check is if the bottom and top vents behind the fridge are clear and can have good airflow. You can also measure the resistance of the 120V and 12V heating elements. I think the 120V is suppose to be 95 Ohms and the 12V 1.2 Ohms. Somewhere in that range.

Post Reply