Just purchased 1993 B190 and have a few questions...

Come in and introduce yourself!
Misplaced Vermonter
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Misplaced Vermonter »

Hi everyone!
My husband Luke and I just bought a lovely 93 b190 in pretty good shape.

Electrical issue...The generator runs but doesn't power the van...I discovered the battery under the couch is shot when I went to check the wires running to positive terminal post and the post lifted freely off the battery....The van has 2 batteries under the hood and a fancy battery selector switch mounted to the dash board that I'm not sure how to use it has 4 modes 'Off', '1', '2', and 'On'. I'm hoping to find the generator feeding the AC loads when I swap out the bad battery under the couch.

DOOR LATCH...My most pressing issue right now is the cargo side door latch stopped working the day after I bought the van. Now I have been searching through the posts and have ordered new cables for around $10 and installed them
...the trouble is that along the way of repairing the latch a white anchor clip broke off of the key lock tumbler and I never saw what it looked like before the metal rod was detached. I think I read someone's post before I began the repair about epoxying the post in lieu of replacing the white plastic anchor but now I can't find it....Does anyone have pictures of this or know which post it was? I'm currently keeping the door closed by lashing it with webbing and not driving it if i put the latch back on I won't be able to open the door...hoping to fix asap...

Also I am thinking of having the van looked at by an RV shop to check out the systems. Can't hurt but not sure how expensive that is...LP heat works, haven't tried the stove yet, and I don't think the fridge or water heater are firing up. Had to learn quick how to weatherize the plumbing because when I brought her home from Virginia i had about 48 hours before we had a 28 degree night here in CT.

Looking forward to many trips in the van!
Cheers, Erin
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

For the generator, I wonder if the automatic transfer switch is bad. I think the generator shuts down if it detects it’s not producing 120 volt power.

The switch is likely a control for the deep cycle coach batteries.

The switch is set up to allow the use of two separate battery banks, or both together (assuming it’s wired fully).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Misplaced Vermonter
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Just purchased 1993 B190 and have a few questions...

Post by Misplaced Vermonter »

by skater » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:02 pm

For the generator, I wonder if the automatic transfer switch is bad. I think the generator shuts down if it detects it’s not producing 120 volt power.

Thanks Skeeter! Where is the automatic transfer switch usually located, is it part of the generator or near the batteries? And what does it look like?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Just purchased 1993 B190 and have a few questions...

Post by skater »

Skater.

It’s an electrical box under the couch. In mine, it’s mounted against the outside wall, as far as I can remember. It might be sticking, or completely worn out. Be sure the camper is unplugged and generator is off before you tear into it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit