VIN Decoder

Forum announcements
Post Reply
User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD

VIN Decoder

Post by skater » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 am

I've now integrated the VIN decoder into the site! You can find a link for it on the navbar above, next to the link for the FAQ. Or click here! Please let me know if you have any problems - it was pretty well tested before, but I may have goofed somewhere during the integration.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

mtodd54
Weekend Camper
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:04 pm
B190 Year: 1995

Re: VIN Decoder

Post by mtodd54 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks Skater - that's really slick! Worked great - the only think that looks funky is the Series mentions 'chevy'... maybe thats in the airstream DB.
[image][/image]
Attachments
VIN.JPG
VIN.JPG (44.19 KiB) Viewed 351 times

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: VIN Decoder

Post by skater » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:29 pm

mtodd54 wrote:Thanks Skater - that's really slick! Worked great - the only think that looks funky is the Series mentions 'chevy'... maybe thats in the airstream DB.
[image][/image]
It's what's in their document. Some of the older Class As were built on a Chevy chassis, I think (or at least they had a 454 engine), so I wonder if that's what caused it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

Abie Sea
Weekend Camper
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:29 pm
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Re: VIN Decoder

Post by Abie Sea » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm

The VIN decoder worked fine for the vehicle - 1FDHS34G5KHA85388. Returned the correct information.

I had difficulty identifying what would be the Airstream Number but found a difficult to decipher model number on a foil label on the post of the drivers door. It read VC2RT-111, and it returned 1969-1980 era serial 111 1960 model. No other information on that label seemed to fit and the length of the number was accepted.

I would be interested in what the Airstream number should look like.

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: VIN Decoder

Post by skater » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:23 pm

Abie Sea wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm
The VIN decoder worked fine for the vehicle - 1FDHS34G5KHA85388. Returned the correct information.

I had difficulty identifying what would be the Airstream Number but found a difficult to decipher model number on a foil label on the post of the drivers door. It read VC2RT-111, and it returned 1969-1980 era serial 111 1960 model. No other information on that label seemed to fit and the length of the number was accepted.

I would be interested in what the Airstream number should look like.
That's an Okanagan model number, not an Airstream serial. For the B190s, the Airstream serial starts with 1B9 and looks just like a 17 character VIN (because it is). Prior to 1980, Airstream VINs followed different rules, but that doesn't matter for B vans. The Airstream serial - which you may not have - is usually stamped on an aluminum plate under the hood.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

User avatar
Julief8
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 8:06 pm
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0
Location: South Lake Tahoe, California USA

Re: VIN Decoder

Post by Julief8 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:02 pm

Here are my VIN Results. Very Wrong... Its a 1997 Unit on a 1996 Ford Econoline 350 Van. It does not have a Chevy engine. It's not a 1982 or a 2012 model. By using a pdf file I saved last summer I get much more accurate results. Any reason why?

1B9KGVAZXCJ301191

VIN Decode Results
Variable Name Value
Airstream Results:
VIN Length Pass (Post-1980 Airstream)
Manufacturer Airstream B-Van
Type of Trailer Rear Bath
Series Motorhome, Front Gasoline Engine, Chevy
Body Type B-Van, high roof, (Ford)
Length 19' to less than 20'
Axles Unknown
Model Year 1982 or 2012
Site of Manufacture Jackson Center, OH
Serial Number 301191
Check digit Fail - calculated: 7
Data Source Airstream documentation

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: VIN Decoder

Post by skater » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:04 pm

Julief8 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:02 pm
Here are my VIN Results. Very Wrong... Its a 1997 Unit on a 1996 Ford Econoline 350 Van. It does not have a Chevy engine. It's not a 1982 or a 2012 model. By using a pdf file I saved last summer I get much more accurate results. Any reason why?

1B9KGVAZXCJ301191

VIN Decode Results
Variable Name Value
Airstream Results:
VIN Length Pass (Post-1980 Airstream)
Manufacturer Airstream B-Van
Type of Trailer Rear Bath
Series Motorhome, Front Gasoline Engine, Chevy
Body Type B-Van, high roof, (Ford)
Length 19' to less than 20'
Axles Unknown
Model Year 1982 or 2012
Site of Manufacture Jackson Center, OH
Serial Number 301191
Check digit Fail - calculated: 7
Data Source Airstream documentation
Because the VIN you entered is wrong - the check digit calculation failed. (Also, the Chevy thing was discussed above.)

With the correct VIN (1B9KGVA2XVJ301191):

VIN Length Pass (Post-1980 Airstream)
Manufacturer Airstream B-Van
Type of Trailer Rear Bath
Series Motorhome, Front Gasoline Engine, Chevy
Body Type B-Van, high roof, (Ford)
Length 19' to less than 20'
Axles Double axle
Model Year 1997
Site of Manufacture Jackson Center, OH
Serial Number 301191
Check digit Pass
Data Source Airstream documentation

Edit: I added a note to the decoder about the Ford/Chevy thing because I see I'm going to get many comments about it if I don't.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

Lakeboy
New User
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:30 pm
B190 Year: 1995

Re: VIN Decoder

Post by Lakeboy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:40 am

Hi I put in my Airstream VIN number for 1995 b190
1B9KGVA29SJ300979
And it didn't come up with any results. Any ideas why? Thanks for your reply.
20190116_142802.jpg
20190116_142802.jpg (4.27 MiB) Viewed 143 times

User avatar
skater
Site Admin
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270
Location: Annapolis, MD

Re: VIN Decoder

Post by skater » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:30 am

Lakeboy wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:40 am
Hi I put in my Airstream VIN number for 1995 b190
1B9KGVA29SJ300979
And it didn't come up with any results. Any ideas why? Thanks for your reply.

20190116_142802.jpg
It's working for me...did you check the Airstream checkbox?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit

Post Reply