Gas off, oven burner still burns

It's a gas
Knox_Gal
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 19091

Gas off, oven burner still burns

Post by Knox_Gal » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:37 am

Accidentally discovered that oven burners still lit and burned after the tank valve was closed. No discernible leaks or odors. Upon inspection and recommendation from a local propane house, we bounced the tank valve and tried again. This time all 4 burners lit, and 3 promptly poofed out. The fourth burner's flame decreased dramatically, but did not go out, burning for an hour before we shut it off. Any thoughts before we take it to the RV repair shop?

micabarry
Weekend Camper
WBCCI: 0

Re: Gas off, oven burner still burns

Post by micabarry » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Here's my 2cts. The shut off valve isn't sealing fully, allowing propane to continue to flow a little. If you aren't comfortable working on propane valves then I think you do need to go to a propane shop or rv dealer to have the valve either replaced or rebuilt. There are rubber gaskets that get dried out and either won't completely shut off or, in my case, leak propane out of the valve stem. I found a packet of #6 gaskets at Lowes and fixed mine, but your seal may be a bit different. Find someone you trust because it shouldn't be an expensive fix. And call first to see if they can recover the propane or want you to burn it off. Good luck and post how it went.

skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Gas off, oven burner still burns

Post by skater » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:21 pm

micabarry wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:35 pm
Here's my 2cts. The shut off valve isn't sealing fully, allowing propane to continue to flow a little. If you aren't comfortable working on propane valves then I think you do need to go to a propane shop or rv dealer to have the valve either replaced or rebuilt. There are rubber gaskets that get dried out and either won't completely shut off or, in my case, leak propane out of the valve stem. I found a packet of #6 gaskets at Lowes and fixed mine, but your seal may be a bit different. Find someone you trust because it shouldn't be an expensive fix. And call first to see if they can recover the propane or want you to burn it off. Good luck and post how it went.
Yeah, I'll bet this is the problem. Working with propane is a touch on the dangerous side for obvious reasons, so this might be a good thing to go to a shop for.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit